High-Risk Pregnancy

Amniocentesis before delivery, anyone?

I am scheduled to have a c-section on Wednesday due to placenta previa, low blood platelets, and borderline anemia. Also, because I have had preterm labor a couple times, and it is irritating the placenta. I will only be 36wks, so it is protocol to do amnio to make sure LO's lungs are developed before delivering. I have already had steroids shots for her lungs, and we are pretty confident that they will be ready. I was just wondering what experiences some of you could tell me about with the amnio. TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Amniocentesis before delivery, anyone?

• I delivered my twins via scheduled c-section at 36w6d due to previous uterine surgeries. I had an amnio the day before. It was VERY easy! My Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor did it in the regular u/s room since it's u/s guided. The needle looks large but is super thin and didn't hurt at all. It felt no worse than having a blood test. I was surprised at how fast and painless it was. I was told to take it easy that day but had no cramping afterwards.

They will call you that night with the results. Ask what the number is when they call. They didn't give me the number, and when I delivered my second daughter, she was grunting and the doctor asked me what the number had been and I didn't know :(   Everything turned out fine though and my girls didn't need the NICU and came home with me. Good luck! Try not to worry about it....it's SO easy!

• Thanks so much for the reassurance! Sometimes that is all a person is looking for!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had an amnio at 18 weeks to confirm T-21. I honestly thought it would hurt way worse than it did! It was a really weird feeling and was uncomfortable, but I wouldn't call it painful. It was over really quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"