Natural Birth

Natural Birthers who wear glasses

A very serious question here...:-) If you wear glasses and do not wear contacts did you wear your glasses through out your entire NB? I was looking at the pics from when DD was born and I had worn my glasses during my c-section. I'm trying to visualize my natural VBAC and am slightly amused by the thought of being naked with the exception of my glasses. I can't see without them but swimming/showering/sex are the only things I do with them off. Of course I'll want to see the baby being born but I wonder how important sight will be during labor.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Natural Birthers who wear glasses

•  I took mine off eventually when I gave birth to DS simply because I was so overheated and sweaty that they kept slipping down my nose.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I kept mine on. I really thought I was going to take them off, but I didn't even notice them by the end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had them off for both of my previous births during the pushing phase.  I keep them on if I'm walking around and whatnot so I don't fall down.  I am extremely nearsighted and contacts are just uncomfortable.  Sight at the end hasn't been terribly important.  I 'felt' everything anyway, so I was pretty aware of what was going on without visual back up.  This time we're planning a waterbirth, so probably no glasses again, lol.
  • I kept mine on, even while in the shower. I didn't notice they were there.
  • Mine came off when I was burrowing my face in the mattress between contractions.

I'm not that blind without them, though, so it really was a non-issue.

• I took mine off once I was in really hard labor because it was more comfortable, and then put them back on to see him once he was born.  I couldn't have seen him being born anyway because of the position I was in.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and you got to wear your glasses during your c/s??  I didn't, and it made my c/s just that much worse, because I couldn't see anything (I can't see more than a few inches in front of me without my glasses).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't even occur to me to take them off, except when I was in the shower at home.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    Oh and you got to wear your glasses during your c/s??  I didn't, and it made my c/s just that much worse, because I couldn't see anything (I can't see more than a few inches in front of me without my glasses).

Yes, I had them on and I had no idea others may not have had the same privilege. My glasses are one of my security blankets so I would have been even more freaked out with out them. It makes me mad that you had to take yours off! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageHarper'smom:

imageiris427:
    Oh and you got to wear your glasses during your c/s??  I didn't, and it made my c/s just that much worse, because I couldn't see anything (I can't see more than a few inches in front of me without my glasses).

Yes, I had them on and I had no idea others may not have had the same privilege. My glasses are one of my security blankets so I would have been even more freaked out with out them. It makes me mad that you had to take yours off! 

It's crazy how much things like this differ from hospital to hospital, or doctor to doctor.  I've heard from other people that didn't have their arms strapped down too and it makes me mad.  I hated that they strapped my arms down.  But it's in the past, no use getting myself upset about that stuff all over again, right?  At least if I were to ever have another c/s, I would know to ask about these things.

GL with your VBAC :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had mine on for both labors and deliveries. My sight is so poor though that I'm very uncomfortable without them. I dont remember them bothering me through either. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't wear glasses, but I had my eyes closed from when I hit transition until she was born.  I was in "the zone."  :)  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I couldn't remember and had to go look at pictures. :)  Apparently I took mine off, but have no idea when!
    imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • I had mine on for the whole labor and delivery. My vision is terrible.
  • I wore mine the whole time and didn't really think about it.
  • I wore mine the whole time.  I was wearing a hospital gown and sports bra, too.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I wore mine for all three births.  I have terrible vision and feel vulnerable without them.  I had an emergency appendectomy 9 years ago and my one of biggest worries was that I would not be able to see  when I woke up.  The surgeon was great and made sure to hand them to me when he woke me up.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • I honestly don't remember...how funny! I think I kept them on, as I can't see anything without them, but let me check the pictures...yep they were on during delivery. I do think I probably had them off when I was laboring in the shower.
  • I had mine off during pushing (which was several hours) with DD. Like others have said I was in the zone so didn't really need them (I can't see well without them).  My doula made sure to hand them to me right after she was born.

With DS they were on the whole time, including when I was in the tub, as his birth happened so fast and I didn't have any reason to remove them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"