Preemies

Abnormal Spit-up

How do you know when spit up is too much spit up?  Or when it's not spit up but vomit?  It seems my daughter is spitting up a lot this week (she's 4 weeks now).  I change her clothes so much at night I've just started leaving her in a diaper and wrapping her up in a blanket.  She wakes up cold and wet and miserable.  And it's had like curdles in it too.  She doesn't burp much when she's nursing but I always try. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Abnormal Spit-up

• How many wet diapers does she have a day?  Is she extremely fussy and not gaining any weight? 
    Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
  • My pedi told me that, as long as everything else (diaper output, weight gain) is good, then the only time there is an issue is if spitting up seems painful for them. In his words, a "happy spitter" is just a "laundry problem".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • In the last 30 minutes since I fed her she's spit up 5 times.  It doesn't seem to bother her, except being cold and wet.  She's soaked her bib.  I can't figure how she's getting enough to eat if she's just spitting it back up.  She is gaining weight but seems hungry very often, even more frequently than every 2 hours. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If she is happy and gaining weight well, it's considered normal.

To try to minimize it, try burping more frequently.

Did you say you are breastfeeding?  Is she gulping a lot of air?  Maybe you have a fast letdown and she's gulping (?) - maybe ask your LC about that.

If you are bottle feeding, maybe try another bottle and/or a slower nipple so she isn't gulping?  Be sure she isn't collapsing the nipple and sucking a lot of air.

• I was always told that if they don't seem upset by it and it isn't coming out of their nose, it is ok. I was also told that spit up looks like more than it really is. 

I know it is hard but I would suggest focussing on burping. Stop nursing often to get a burp out. It would sometimes take us 20-30 mins to get a good burp but it is worth it. Firm back rubbing, gentle pats, try leaning her into your hand as well as on your shoulder. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had serious spit up issues for about the first 2.5 months. It drove me CRAZY that my pedi kept saying, "As long as she's gaining weight, there's no problem!" DD was projectile spitting up to 5 feet and would regularly erupt and soak whoever was feeding her, herself, and the couch. When my midwife finally saw it, she had me go to the hospital with DD to get an ultrasound to check for pyrolic stenosis, but it wasn't that. It was really stressful for me, and one of the major reasons my milk supply dried up and I decided to stop pumping. I had to change her clothes several times a day as well.

Unfortunately, I have no solution. Burping her more often helped a little, but really only a little. The only thing that really seemed to help was time. At about 2.5 months she started only doing those massive spit-ups once a day, at about 3 months even less frequently and never projectile, and by about 4 months she was spitting up an amount that I would consider normal.

I'm sorry you're going through this, really I am. I know how stressful it is.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• DS had projectile vomiting and spit up issues, but he was a "happy spitter" in the fact he never cried.  He had an ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis.  He also had an upper GI and we had to see a pedi GI dr because our dr wasn't comfortable prescribing the amount of meds he needed.  We used rice to thicken his formula and he was on prevacid and zantac.  IME, it didn't matter how many times we burped the kid.  If he was going to puke, he would.  DC said they've never seen a kids spit up so much.  He was on meds until he was 15.5 mo (actual).  Sorry your guys are having a rough time! 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • DS had projectile vomiting and spit up issues, but he was a "happy spitter" in the fact he never cried.  He had an ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis.  He also had an upper GI and we had to see a pedi GI dr because our dr wasn't comfortable prescribing the amount of meds he needed.  We used rice to thicken his formula and he was on prevacid and zantac.  IME, it didn't matter how many times we burped the kid.  If he was going to puke, he would.  DC said they've never seen a kids spit up so much.  He was on meds until he was 15.5 mo (actual).  Sorry you guys are having a rough time! 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • imagemrs_sexy:
    DS had projectile vomiting and spit up issues, but he was a "happy spitter" in the fact he never cried.  He had an ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis.  He also had an upper GI and we had to see a pedi GI dr because our dr wasn't comfortable prescribing the amount of meds he needed.  We used rice to thicken his formula and he was on prevacid and zantac.  IME, it didn't matter how many times we burped the kid.  If he was going to puke, he would.  DC said they've never seen a kids spit up so much.  He was on meds until he was 15.5 mo (actual).  Sorry your guys are having a rough time! 

My eldest DS is now 6yrs old was born at 35 weeks and STILL to this day vomits...ALL THE TIME...there isn't anything we can do about it either.  He gets coughing and up it comes. He's done this since he was born.  The doctors have said its anything from nothing to asthma to reflux but all the treatments dont work so I think its just HIM!! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"