Food Allergy

Quick Vent Re blood on Elecare!

ugh so DS has been on EleCare for a while now and he had a stool card test postiive for blood on 10/22 and then I saw blood today :  ( Just talked to the GI and he wants us to retest in another week in case he is one of the few babies where it just takes a while for things to clear even though the normal amount is about 10 days. I just want this to be over!

We are also stopping his vitamin D for now since it has coconut oil in it in case that is the culprit.Blah! I guess we have to try switching him to Alimentum ready to feed if there is still blood on the next test because of the small amount of corn in EleCare. I thought Alimentum is a step below EleCare, or is the ready to feed different?

Vent over. Thanks!

Re: Quick Vent Re blood on Elecare!

• No advice, but can understand your frustration!  I am EBFing and on a last-shot elimination diet in hopes of getting rid of blood, but then we'll move on to formula.

My biggest fear is that we will still see blood on formula.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sorry you're going through that. I know how frustrating it is when you're doing everything possible.

I would be careful  going with Alimentum if he's already showing blood in stool.  I would put her on another prescription formula.  Fight the insurance to get it paid. But i would avoid alimentum since it has traces of cows milk in it.

Hopefully it's just taking a while to leave the system -and good call ont he vitamins. 

• Loading the player...
  • Typically RTF do have less corn than powder, but still usually around 7%. (Forgive me, it's been a while since I've looked at the lists so I'm trying to remember.)

Is it just corn you're trying to avoid?

My son's only allergy was corn and we ended up on Good Start.
    Elecare was still something like 55% corn syrup solids. It was one of the worst offenders we had, actually. He ended up in the hospital with dehydration from puking it and that was just with some added to my breastmilk.

• imageTriciaJoy:

Typically RTF do have less corn than powder, but still usually around 7%. (Forgive me, it's been a while since I've looked at the lists so I'm trying to remember.)

Is it just corn you're trying to avoid?

My son's only allergy was corn and we ended up on Good Start.
    Elecare was still something like 55% corn syrup solids. It was one of the worst offenders we had, actually. He ended up in the hospital with dehydration from puking it and that was just with some added to my breastmilk.

No, it's not just corn. We know of milk, soy and eggs, but are unsure of his additional allergies. I was Top 8, corn and beef free and he still had bleeding. Thanks for the info on the RTF though, if we do learn corn is a bad one for him that's great to know!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"