Food Allergy

those that went from BM to Nutramigen/Alimentum

How'd it go?

I'm nursing and have been dairy and soy free for two weeks now and don't know how much longer I can keep it up!! It's TOUGH!  I go back to work in 2 weeks and am thinking of switching to one of these formulas due to DD milk/soy allergy.  I just want to know what to expect!

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: those that went from BM to Nutramigen/Alimentum

• I stopped after 3 days. LO was reacting to the formula (Nutra) in my opinion. She was better overall, but I think her issues run deeper than milk/soy. Its been 8 weeks for me. After the formula, I decided to keep EPing. (Sigh.....)

Don't let my result sway you too much. Other people have had great success.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it depends on how serious his milk/soy allergy is.  Since it still contains traces of milk in the formula. Some kids with serious allergies can't handle them. 

we gave my son only one bottle at night of alimentum and he always had skin issues.. i will never know if it was from my BM or from the one bottle of Formula.  

• Loading the player...
  • LO has been on Alimentum for one week and it seems to be better than the Nutramigen. She hated the taste of nutramigen would never finish a bottle of it. The transitions was tough tho...The first few days she seems even worse off but then after 3 days she started eating more and got used to it and now shes happy and not fussy. Just takes some time.

I couldnt do the whole no dairy/soy thing and didnt want to upset her tummy anymore so switching was best.

• I feel like a Neocate commercial but like someone said in a previous post, the Alimentum/Nutramagin type formulas still contain trace amounts of dairy, more than your breastmilk probably has according to our GI.  Our LO could not tolerate Nutramagin but was immediately improved on Neocate.    
  • We went to Alimentum/nutramigen (and tried neocate and elecare too) once I got pregnant again and my supply dropped (DS was about 10 months).  Otherwise, I would have kept up the dairy/soy/egg/chicken/tree nut/pea/corn free diet I had going on.  He wouldn't drink elecare, did better wtih nutramigen than alimentum, and we tried the neocate to see if it would be some magical sleep promoter, but no such luck... so we stuck with nutramigen.  
  • We went from BM that was fortified with AR to trying neutramagen for 4 days then went to EleCare for about four days and finally saw a GI yesterday. She put DS on the Alimentum (we can add oatmeal and mylanta to aid the reflux issues he has). So far insee a world of difference! DS was hardly eating an ounce on the other stuff and tonight he had a 4 oz bottle! I am hoping we found what works. What is even better is our insurance will cover the cost completely, so I started weaning from the pump today instead of choosing the strict "eat practically nothing" diet!
    BabyFruit Ticker image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was having a really hard time going dairy/soy free while working. It's so hard when you have to go to client lunches and such. Then when I became pregnant again and my supply dropped it became impossible to keep my supply up. It took us a good month to transition her to alimentum. We did find that DD did much better on the RTF than on the powder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"