Two Under 2
Options

How do you prepare your older child for baby?

I am due two days before DS's 2nd Birthday in January. He does not know what's coming but I would like to try and prepare him.

We tell him there is a baby in mommy's belly, and he'll rub it and give hugs/kisses. Then he lifts up his own shirt and says "baby!!"

He is still nursing for naptime and sometimes bedtime. I am prepared to tandem nurse and am happy with that. We just got a toddler bed for him, but he (of course) still prefers to sleep with us. I plan on having baby in our bed, as it makes things easier for breastfeeding.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on preparing a 2 year old for a younger sibling? He is used to having other kids around (I do in-home daycare) but not tiny babies.  

Re: How do you prepare your older child for baby?

• Options

I haven't been there but some cool advice I got was to get a baby for him a month before your due date & he can take care of the baby while you take care of the baby. It gets him used to the idea of a smaller being that he cares for.  I plan on getting this blue stroller and this baby... :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBWWO4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A27NGVKUPKCNVM

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036AWTDM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I still have five months to go but I started putting out all the baby gear now. So she can get bored with bouncing the baby bouncer and messing with the swing. I also got her a bunch of toy bottles and dolls. I sure your son will do great!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto the PPs. 

DD#2 will be 25 months when this baby comes, so not quite 2u2 but DD#1 and DS are 19 months apart and we had no issues with the transition.

We prepped her by talking about the baby a lot.  She came to the hospital to meet him and was fascinated.  We praised her when she helped us (getting the paci, talking softly to baby, etc).  She loved to be near him.  We got her a baby of her own to have.  Our pedi at the time suggested that when guests come over, they acknowledge her/fuss over her first THEN go coo over cute baby brother.  We let her "introduce" her baby brother to guests and she was pleased to be part of it all.

DD#2 will be slightly older but she has a baby doll that she loves on constantly.  We did get her into a big girl bed last week so that she doesn't associate the crib as HER bed.  We won't attempt potty training til baby has been here a while  (unless she really shows signs of being ready). We talk to her constantly about what a big girls she is and praise her when she tries new things.

I am sure it will be fine!

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"