Special Needs

High calorie drinks

A friend of mine's daughter drinks Boost because she has a genetic disorder and is very tiny. She needs all the calories they can get in her. But she seems to have developed a distaste for Boost and they are looking for ideas for other drinks.

Can anyone recommend something you give your LO?

TIA! 

Re: High calorie drinks

• I have a friend who's son needs high calorie meals/drinks. He drinks Enlive.

Are they just looking for drinks or calorie boosting in general? If in general try protein and fats (ex. add butter or oil to meats, veggies, etc.). Avocados are high in fat and calories.

• Lydia was on Bright Beginnings Soy for a while. She enjoyed it, especially when I blended it with frozen strawberries and made it into a smoothie.

Suggest that they mix it up, make smoothies or other drinks with the boost to change the flavor.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMaxandRuby:

I have a friend who's son needs high calorie meals/drinks. He drinks Enlive.

Are they just looking for drinks or calorie boosting in general? If in general try protein and fats (ex. add butter or oil to meats, veggies, etc.). Avocados are high in fat and calories.

also whole milk yougurt

• I don't know what your friends DD's issue is with feeding, but my DD was SFGA, IUGR, "persistent short stature" and FTT (at various points until about 3.5 years old, she seems to have "caught up" and is on the chart now).  We had good luck with Smoothies made with bananas or other strong flavored fruit, peanut butter, and peas.  You can add a lot of peanut butter, way more than my DD could eat on a given day to the smoothie and she will drink it down quickly. 

My son is also FTT, though his are eating related issues, not growth related like DD.  He thrives on boost Plus, which has more calories than regular boost.  We have also tried things like Resource Breeze, Carnation Instant Breakfast (yeah for cheap), which has more flavors than boost.  We also got a powder a couple of times that has added fat, calories, and protien, that is tasteless, but you add it to a lot of foods.  I can't remember the name of that one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"