March 2012 Moms

Help with nursery colors for a boy

We're moving and need to paint the new house. DD asked that her room be blue and picked a TIffany's/turquoise-y blue color. For DS, I was planning to paint his room light blue, but their rooms are right next to each other and I don't want them to be too similar, you know? Plus, DH and I were talking about wall colors last night and he said he's not going to repaint his room when we switch him to the big boy room, but just change out decor. So that got me thinking. Is the light blue the wisest choice for an older kiddo?

FWIW, we're using some of the decor items from this collection, but not the bedding set, maybe just the sheets: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10961884

TIA!

Re: Help with nursery colors for a boy

• Have you looked at some older boy bedding to get an idea of what you might use?  If you do that, you can see what colors go through both and pick a color from that. Looking at the monkey bedding, I think you could use a light brown maybe and that would be easy to pull through to a big kid room.  (FWIW- I like Land of Nod for older kid bedding.  We went with their wide stripes bedding and painted the room in such a way that we shouldn't have to paint for many, many more years.)
  • I second the light tan- maybe a khaki color?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We decided on yellow for the nursery before we even found out the sex. Now that we know it's boy, I think it's perfect. It's nice buttery yellow - nothing super bright.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tan, khaki, cream, yellow, or a darker blue than the one you are using for DD...maybe do an accent wall with the darker blue...and then use one of the other mentioned colors for the other walls.
  • We are painting our nursery a very light minty green with white moulding. This LO is a boy so we will be accenting the room with some browns and baby blues. When LO#2 comes along (if it's a girl) we can accent with some pinks/purples/browns. I hope that helps. Maybe you could use a green or a beige color and just accent the room with the blues that you like?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemhollidayesq:
    Tan, khaki, cream, yellow, or a darker blue than the one you are using for DD...maybe do an accent wall with the darker blue...and then use one of the other mentioned colors for the other walls.

Ooh, love these suggestions! Might convince DH to go with something tan/khaki. I'm thinking dark blue on all walls might be a tad too much, but an accent wall sounds really nice (in fact, we're doing an accent dark red wall in our bedroom too).

And I love the greens, but sadly, there's no green in this bedding.

• so if her color is a tiffanyish color than you can go with a different shade of blue for baby or a totally diff color like the others said.  you could do stripes in one room and not in the other, or paint the ceiling in one room, or chair rail with one color above and one below.  so many choices! 

• imageTexas77again:

so if her color is a tiffanyish color than you can go with a different shade of blue for baby or a totally diff color like the others said.  you could do stripes in one room and not in the other, or paint the ceiling in one room, or chair rail with one color above and one below.  so many choices! 

We don't have much time before we move, so the chair rail is out (and I love love love chair rails!) I'm trying to convince DH to just paint his room one color and then add stripes later (the kid isn't going to be in his room for another half a year at least!)

• imageLisichka:

imagemhollidayesq:
    Tan, khaki, cream, yellow, or a darker blue than the one you are using for DD...maybe do an accent wall with the darker blue...and then use one of the other mentioned colors for the other walls.

Ooh, love these suggestions! Might convince DH to go with something tan/khaki. I'm thinking dark blue on all walls might be a tad too much, but an accent wall sounds really nice (in fact, we're doing an accent dark red wall in our bedroom too).

And I love the greens, but sadly, there's no green in this bedding.

:-). I love accent walls and always do them. It let's me pick a dark color that would be too much for an entire room, but it always gives the room such great character. Have fun painting!
  • I am also thinking that a tan or camel color would go well with that decor!
    imageimage
    Welcome to the world, Baby W: born on 3/8/12 @ 3:49pm - 8lb 11 oz, 22 in. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We painted our son's room "warm caramel" by Glidden.  It is in the tan family.  We love it and plan to keep it for a long time.  In fact, I am already planning on painting his room in our next house this color. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTheMutleys:

We painted our son's room "warm caramel" by Glidden.  It is in the tan family.  We love it and plan to keep it for a long time.  In fact, I am already planning on painting his room in our next house this color. 

Ooh, his room looks so cozy!

• I picked an awesome tanish color called Kenya from home depot. My bedding is Zoofari, and there are hints of a dark red in there. Since I already had a chair rail in his room, I did a dark red on the bottom! Luckily, tan is a pretty easy color to match with, so Id definitely go with that if you're looking to convert it into his big boy room later :)
  • What about an orange color even? Orange and blue look kind of neat together if it is the right shade. :)
  • imageLisichka:

Ooh, his room looks so cozy!

That is another thing I like about this color.  When the light is on and the curtains are open, it is very bright in his room.  However, it is almost cave-like for naptime because the color doesn't have an extra brightness to it.  Plus we have blackout shades behind the curtains, so that probably helps.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"