Natural Birth

Flu shot

OK I've noticed alot of heated post over mom's requiring family members to get the flu shot before being able to see baby.  I was curious as to what my fellow natural mama's thought on this issue.  I asked my OB yesterday and he said he wouldn't worry about it, and to just avoid getting LO out too much for the first couple months and to practice good hand washing.  My Bradley instructor agreed.  I never get the flu shot and never get the flu.  And I don't plan on passing my baby around to everyone at every gathering.  I'm hoping BFing will help LO's immunity.  Just curious what you ladies are doing....
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Flu shot

• I don't demand anything of anyone. I did get the shot myself, as did DH. We're the most likely to get the baby sick, after all.

The grandparents did all end up getting the pertussis vaccine; I appreciate that they cared enough to do that, and obviously they also benefit. I think that's much more important than the flu shot, if you're picking and choosing.

BFing will only help if you get sick, too. 

• Our family will not be getting the flu shot nor would I expect anyone else to.  I cannot dictate other people's choices or health care.  Of course I am one of "those" people that thinks the flu shot is BS and doesn't work, but I think that for any vaccine.  Do research on vaccines (pro and anti), then look at the science behind it. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageMeganKay:

Our family will not be getting the flu shot nor would I expect anyone else to.  I cannot dictate other people's choices or health care.  Of course I am one of "those" people that thinks the flu shot is BS and doesn't work, but I think that for any vaccine.  Do research on vaccines (pro and anti), then look at the science behind it. 

What is the science behind your thought that the flu shot (or any vaccine) doesn't work? 

Edit: I am skeptical you have done any research or looked at any science if you truly believe this.

OP - I didn't demand anything from anyone. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • *duplicate*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMeganKay:

Our family will not be getting the flu shot nor would I expect anyone else to.  I cannot dictate other people's choices or health care.  Of course I am one of "those" people that thinks the flu shot is BS and doesn't work, but I think that for any vaccine.  Do research on vaccines (pro and anti), then look at the science behind it. 

You think vaccines are BS?   Seriously?    What research could you have possibly done that would support that belief?

Sorry OP, I know this isn't the point of your post!   I didn't demand anything of anyone who was going to see my baby.     

• I wore LO the first 6 months and that really got a lot of people away from LO he was a spring baby so I didn't have to worry too much about the flu. I would just practice good hand washing and limit interactions during flu season.
  • I am not particularly germ-phobic, so I didn't ask or care about what shots people had when they came to see my child. We always had a bottle of hand sanitizer available for anyone who wanted to hold the baby.  

I also didn't keep DD indoors or away from people for the first two months of her life before she had any vaccinations of her own (as some people I know IRL have tried to do).

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here are just some of the resources I have used while researching vaccines.  Of course I continue to do my research as new studies/information are always coming out.  I do not judge people who decide to vaccinate.  My hope is that people educate themselves no matter what their decision ends up being on vaccines.  I understand the risk I take by choosing not to vaccinate my child.  I also understand the risks of vaccinating.   

https://thinktwice.com/

https://www.vaccine-tlc.org/docs/Mini-Guide-to-Flu-&-Flu-Vaccines.pdf

www.nvic.org

www.vaccinesafetyconference.com

www.mercola.com

https://www.thedoctorwithin.com/allergies/vaccines-and-the-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

https://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

The Merck Manual

• imageMeganKay:

Here are just some of the resources I have used while researching vaccines.  Of course I continue to do my research as new studies/information are always coming out.  I do not judge people who decide to vaccinate.  My hope is that people educate themselves no matter what their decision ends up being on vaccines.  I understand the risk I take by choosing not to vaccinate my child.  I also understand the risks of vaccinating.   

https://thinktwice.com/

https://www.vaccine-tlc.org/docs/Mini-Guide-to-Flu-&-Flu-Vaccines.pdf

www.nvic.org

www.vaccinesafetyconference.com

www.mercola.com

https://www.thedoctorwithin.com/allergies/vaccines-and-the-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

https://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

The Merck Manual

This is what you call research?  Oh dear......well, at least now I know how you came to your conclusions. 

• We don't vaccinate either. We might do tetanus but not until they actually need it. I didn't get mine till I was 17. I find it really funny how people freak out when anyone says they don't vaccinate. People have gotten pretty viscous with me.

OP, We've never had the flu shot nor will I ever. A little part of me gets scared when I think of the things that could happen. I think the best way to prevent sickness is to stay away from sick people, wash hands often and don't let people get near my baby's face. I also plan to wear my baby all the time so hopefully people won't be asking to hold that often. The only place we'll be taking the baby that makes me nervous is church. But like I said I'll wear the baby and hope it keeps people away.

tiana
  • imageRachypierce:

We don't vaccinate either. We might do tetanus but not until they actually need it. I didn't get mine till I was 17. I find it really funny how people freak out when anyone says they don't vaccinate. People have gotten pretty viscous with me.

OP, We've never had the flu shot nor will I ever. A little part of me gets scared when I think of the things that could happen. I think the best way to prevent sickness is to stay away from sick people, wash hands often and don't let people get near my baby's face. I also plan to wear my baby all the time so hopefully people won't be asking to hold that often. The only place we'll be taking the baby that makes me nervous is church. But like I said I'll wear the baby and hope it keeps people away.

It's true. This is a very hot topic. People are scared of both sides, and sometimes, people use hurtful words to express fear. However, in any conversation, i try to avoid the childish behaviors and tend to engage with people who are able to converse like adults.

best of luck.

imageimage
  • I got the shot largely because pregnant women are one of the high-risk groups for complications from the flu. I did make sure to get the preservative-free, killed version. While I have never gotten the flu either (actually, I rarely get sick at all), the way I see if the more immunity I can pass on to the little guy the better. But I would not require others to have a vaccination.

You are right, BFing will help his immunity but only against things that you have received vaccines for or fought off yourself.

I don't believe being pro-minimal intervention birth means you have to be anti-medicine. There are things in life for which medication is appropriate. Prevention of illness is one of those things.

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • I would never demand anyone do anything in terms of their own medical choices, however I do keep an eye on who holds my baby.

People are dumb and selfish. Plenty of people will happily hold your baby regardless of how sick they are and cough and splutter their germs all over LO just because, "I want to hold the cute baby" like some kind of bratty child.

I don't have any issues with saying to someone they can hold LO when they aren't sick.

I'm not anal about germs, but newborns are vulnerable, and I have better things to do with my time than be up with a sick baby around the clock. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I would prefer that all family members got the flu shot, but I know my parents won't and I can deal with that.  I DO care if family gets the pertussis vaccine however and luckily so far, everyone has volunteered for it because I had whopping cough at 16 and it was worrying enough for my family to impress upon them the importance of the vaccine to reduce the risk.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hand washing is most important. Have every one who will have any contact with the baby wash for 30 seconds with soap and warm water. There's so much out there besides the flu.
  • My DH and I get the flu shot every year and the year DD was born was no different.  I did however ask my parents and brother to get the pertussis vaccine and my DH and I also got it.  I just didn't want to take the chance.  
  • I sent out a friendly email to the family members that are going to be visiting in the first month and spending a lot of time at the house.  Nobody but my dad questioned getting one and my FIL (who is a family practice md) said it was probably a good idea.  

I know anybody who was sick/got sick would feel terrible if they passed anything to our LO or they couldn't hang because they were sick while down visiting us. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm getting the flu shot at my next appointment, but I'm not requiring anyone else to get it if they don't want to, not even DH.  I'm hoping for some immunity to pass to DS, but sometimes kids needs a little bit of exposure to allow their bodies to build up immunity.  I'm not going to let obviously sick family members hold him, but I'm not going to demand people get vaccines before holding the baby.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"