Special Needs
Options

Is your autistic child verbal?

DS is 18 months and so far, does not have any words. He barely babbles at all, but will occasionally make sounds like, "ma ma ma ma." He just started speech therapy so I know it will take time, but I can't help but wonder if he will ever speak. The doctors all tell me that he is too young for them to say, but that they think he will talk, just be significantly delayed. If your child is verbal, how old were they when it began? Did they babble and make lots of sound as an infant/toddler?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is your autistic child verbal?

• Options

My son did babble but it phased out and by 18 months old he was only grunting or crying.  A few months before his 3rd d-day was a hard time for me, I finally accepted that he wasn't just going to snap out of it, that we would have a long hard road ahead of us and that he may never really be verbal.  I put him in an intensive program and worked really hard at learning and teaching him signs (which he loved).  We also got a working dx of Apraxia in addition to ASD.

And then the week before his 3rd b-day he just started talking.  One day he said "uh-oh" all that day (had never happened before) the next day he kept saying "uh-oh" and added "hop", the day after he kept the first 2 words and added "up" and "down".  It was amazing, I had finally accepted that it wouldn't happen, and then it did.  I mostly credit the signing, I also think maturity had something to do with it.

He's 5 now and has age appropriate language skills(actually a bit beyond age level when he was last tested!), still has trouble with articulation.  It still amazes me, he just started talking 2 years ago.

• Options
    My son babbled and had 2 or 3 words until he was 18 months and then he regressed and pretty much stopped speaking and lost the words he had.  He began talking again at about 24 months but again only a couple words and they were not the words he had when he was younger.  He started speech therapy a month ago.  From 24 months on most of his language has been echolalia.  Since starting speech therapy he has begun to gain more spontaneous words!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think every kid just looks so different that it is hard to compare.

My 6 y.o. has AS.  He started talking very early.  He has only ever mispronounced a handful of words from the day that he started speaking.  By the time he was about 18-20 months old, he was literally talking to us in paragraphs.  It was unreal.

My 2 y.o. was evaluated at 16 months by EI.  At that time, he was almost two standard deviations behind the norm.  He barely talked and had regressed from when he was 15 months and did some babbling and said some words. He then begin to pick up words pretty quickly, but we soon realized that his language was almost entirely echolalia.  Within the past two months he has made some huge breakthroughs.  He is speaking in sentences, using people's names to get their attention, and breaking away from his echolalia.  We just had him evaluated, one year later, and his expressive language skills are actually scoring above the norm by a few months.  His social, non-verbal and receptive are still behind, but we are definitely making progress. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DS is 19 months. When he was evaluated by EI at 12 months he was 2 standard deviations below the mean in communication. He babbled, but no words (also minimal gestures). He's been in speech since then and 2 months later started daily ABA. He now signs for more, milk, all done, binky, and help. Over the past couple of weeks he's actually been saying some words, namely more, down, go, and a 2 syllable grunt that means all done. He says mama but sporadically. He seems to be picking up new words fairly quickly and we are thrilled. I'm very hopeful for you that intervention will help your son a lot!
  • Options

Yes. If anything, she chatters. But a lot of it is repetitive/scripted/echolalic, although it is improving.

She started talking and hitting verbal milestones at the typical times, and we used sign language with her as well. But she was always on the slow end of normal for number of words, until eventually -- around 2.5, I'd guess -- that fell into actual delay. 

Her verbal development was odd, though -- like, her verbal explosion didn't come until 21 months instead of 18, and then instead of getting a ton of everyday words, she busted out with knowing the entire alphabet & being able to identify them by sight.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    At 18 months DS had a couple words.. we switched daycares and then he had a few more by 2 years. By 3 years he was chattering away (like pp said, a lot of scripting, echolia, etc.) He's 3.5 now and we can carry on a very broken, familier conversation about what he wants to do or what he likes best, or where something is, but if I ask he what he did today at school he usually clams up or repeats something he says everyday like "had fun." He can't tell me what he ate for lunch, but he will tell me whether or not he rode the bus that day.
  • Options

My 6 year old was verbal early; had words around 10 months.  He didn't put phrases together until around 2.5 though.  He didn't get his PDD_NOS diagnosis until this past summer at 5 years and 10 months.  My 4 year old is also verbal.  He didn't start talking until around 2 and had about 10 words until around 3.  Now at 4 he's quite talkative.  

As far as them both babbling, Jon did and had what we refer to as "twin speak" with his brother until around 4.  Chris, not so much.  He had not really many vocalizations.  He did make some noise but not much. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"