VBAC

VBAC Statistics....what do you think?

So, my local ICAN had a showing of the More Business of Being Born videos last night.  We watched the third and fourth videos about C-sections, doulas, birth centers and VBACs.  (Very interesting if you can get a chance to see them!)

Afterwards, we were talking about the statistics, of only 8% of women attempting a VBAC and of those few, 70ish% are successful.  After I left I was talking to my husband about it.  On one hand, 70% seems pretty good.... but then I started wondering to myself what happened to the other 30%.  I guess I wondered when they took the stats.... like did those women change their mind at the last minute and do a RCS before they actually attempted the VBAC?  Was their baby breech at the last minute? Did they have really restrictive doctors that didn't let them go past 39 weeks or something?  Does anyone know the stats or have any guesses?  

I guess the reason I'm wondering is because I secretly kinda hope that there were some reasons behind their RCS besides actually trying a VBAC, having some complication and needing an emergency RCS.... kwim?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC Statistics....what do you think?

• Well, I think they say an appropriate c-section rate should be around 10-15% of ALL births.  So, with VBACers you're looking at an small subset of women who had a previous c-section and some of those were for legitimate reasons.  Then you add in restrictions about pitocin.  I think 70% is about as good as it's going to get for VBAC success.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a few women personally who tried to VBAC and didn't succeed. In almost all their cases, it boiled down to an impatient, unsupportive provider who pressured them into a c/s.

I think many women "try" for a VBAC, but aren't necessarily dead set on it, you know? They kind of think, oh.. if it happens, it happens.  When they end up with a RCS, they're probably considered a failed VBAC and put into the 30%.

Of course there are those who truly do need a c-section... and I don't think it's as high as 30%.

• Loading the player...
  • I think those statistics are for women who actually attempt VBAC.  But I do think that unnecessary restrictions and the general fear surrounding VBAC brings success rates down lower than they could be.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know there was another woman due around the same time as me with my CNM.  In both my case and this other woman, we got to 41 weeks which was the max for the hospital for a VBAC.  We were both given the choice of an induction or a RCS.  I chose induction (and was successful) and the other woman chose the RCS.  She is considered one of the 30%.

So, the 30%  does include those women who get to the "end", don't go into labor, and then do the RCS.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"