Special Needs

Epilepsy & bedding

DS is in a crib, and we have gotten away with just warm pajamas (no blankets) up until now. He tends to roll around and play in his crib before he settles down for the night.

His seizures are currently under control, and I have thought about putting in a blanket. He does nap in a cot with a blanket at school. However, I worry about a nocturnal seizure and SUDEP. 

How do other seizure moms handle this? TIA 

Re: Epilepsy & bedding

• No experience with epilepsy, but what about one of the wearable blanket/sleep sacks (assuming your concern is the blanket contributing to a suffocation risk)? Halo makes them to fit up to 5 year olds and the bigger sizes have holes for their feet if he's walking. I've seen our friend's very big kid roll around in them at 18 months and know he's still in them at 27 months so that might work.
  • imagekar5162:
    No experience with epilepsy, but what about one of the wearable blanket/sleep sacks (assuming your concern is the blanket contributing to a suffocation risk)? Halo makes them to fit up to 5 year olds and the bigger sizes have holes for their feet if he's walking. I've seen our friend's very big kid roll around in them at 18 months and know he's still in them at 27 months so that might work.

I agree with the sleep sacks. DS has epilepsy, but he does sleep with a regular blanket. It's just a small fleece blanket that ends up on the other side of the crib 99% of the time. I'd definitely look into the sleep sacks if you're concerned about a regular blanket! DS also wears warmer, fleece PJs on the colder nights. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter just sleeps with footy pajamas, but I do want to look into a sleep sack for the winter.
    Tori 10.10.09 / Callie 9.14.10 / Callie's Epilespy Journey
  • We did the sleep sacks. The bigger sizes have holes for the feet and DD1 (5.5) still wears them on occasion. She was my seizure baby and lived in sleep sacks for a long time for this reason and is just starting to use a blanket. She loves when it's cold enough to wear a sleep sack though!
  • we don't do anything special for him with his bedding.  I guess I never thought about it...
  • Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. I was not sure if I should do something different or not. I will definitely check out the sleep sacks. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"