Attachment Parenting

NAPR--about shoes

DD has been wearing a size 7.  I went shopping for winter boots last weekend & they measured her at a size 8.  So, I need to buy her some size 8 shoes now.  **sigh**

Anyway, what size should I buy her boots that I expect to last her into February--8 or 9?  I got her size 8, but I'm rethinking that size.  She probably won't even need them until December.  I don't want her to grow out of them before winter's over.

TIA, ladies.

ETA:  I just felt her toes in her size 7 Stride Rites and she still has room in them.  I wonder if the guy measured her foot right.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NAPR--about shoes

• I feel your pain, with seasonal weather shoes become a significant expence. I know that people say kids' feet grow really quick but so far my experience is that they don't grow that quick actually. DD can still fit shoes from July and I regret buying a pair in size 6 already, they are not optimal in size yet. So I think you should stick to the 8. 

One thing I found is that sizes vary with the brand do I tend to stick to a particular brand or go to a specialty store where they measure and recommend. We got her amazing winter boots that they promised would last all winter, but paid a lot for them! 

I can really recommend buying 'used' shoes on eBay, especially from the brands you know. Many times these shoes have been worn 5 times, have a tiny scuff mark but are otherwise fine and half the price of new ones. They say you shouldn't let kids wear worn shoes but at this age they often haven't really worn them much. 

Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • Thanks for the input.  I really appreciate it.

BTW, the forecast for tomorrow includes snow--up to 4" in some higher elevations.  We won't need to pull out her boots yet, but this might give me insight into the length & severity of the winter ahead. **sigh**
  • Loading the player...
  • My kids have feet that grow like weeds, but it seems everyone else I know has kids with slower growing feet. I'd take her somewhere else to check her foot size. If you can find a locally owned shoe store, they're more likely to measure correctly. 

I personally would advise against used shoes, especially once they're walking a lot. The insoles mold to your foot's shape over time.

Is this her first year wearing snow boots?  The problem is that her feet are going to slip out of them when she walks if they're too big, but of course it's a big investment if she's going to outgrow them before the season is over (also, if she does outgrow them, you're going to have a hard time finding new boots in February).  

• imageghm:

My kids have feet that grow like weeds, but it seems everyone else I know has kids with slower growing feet. I'd take her somewhere else to check her foot size. If you can find a locally owned shoe store, they're more likely to measure correctly. 

I personally would advise against used shoes, especially once they're walking a lot. The insoles mold to your foot's shape over time.

Is this her first year wearing snow boots?  The problem is that her feet are going to slip out of them when she walks if they're too big, but of course it's a big investment if she's going to outgrow them before the season is over (also, if she does outgrow them, you're going to have a hard time finding new boots in February).  

I think I got her the Snow Treads boots here:  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3161/0/Relevance/1?feat=3161-GN2&gnrefine=1*SH_STYL*Boot.  I don't remember; they're still in the bag.  Her feet shouldn't slip out with the upper part velcroed around her ankle/lower leg. 

How frequently do you measure your LO's feet and end up changing sizes?  I think I read somewhere that their feet should be measured every 4 months.  Is that right?

• I was told they always add a size to winter boots, so that you don't end up needing a second pair halfway through. Maybe that is why the salesperson said she needed an 8?
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageterri.m.reid@gmail.com:
    I was told they always add a size to winter boots, so that you don't end up needing a second pair halfway through. 

I was told this too (and bought two different sizes, one for indoor shoes and one for the before-mentioned snowboots at the posh shop). But I was told that this is because of the thick lining in the boots. Another option is to get the bigger size and put an insole in it. However, I had a bad experience buying too big, DD didn't keep on the boot right and walked the heel down a bit (wrinkling the back side of the angle on the boot).   

Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"