Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Transition to preschool

Our DD will be 3 in March, and we are planning on moving her from an in-home daycare to a preschool soon.

Anyone have advice they'd be willing to share? Just trying to make the transition easier. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Transition to preschool

• Options

My twins are transitioning from their in home nanny to a pre-k next year so we are hoping to do a pre pre-k program.  They will visit for an hour twice a week for a few months before starting 1/2 days.  At least that was the plan before I absolutely fell out of love with their pre-k.

With Harmon what we did was just visit about 4 or 5 times including 2 times where i stayed but he got to be in the class.  He loved it!  He didn't mind that first day and he just loves school. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    imagefranciscaz:

My twins are transitioning from their in home nanny to a pre-k next year so we are hoping to do a pre pre-k program.  They will visit for an hour twice a week for a few months before starting 1/2 days.  At least that was the plan before I absolutely fell out of love with their pre-k.

With Harmon what we did was just visit about 4 or 5 times including 2 times where i stayed but he got to be in the class.  He loved it!  He didn't mind that first day and he just loves school. 

That's a really good idea (sorry the one you liked didn't work out though!). She loves making friends and just being around people in general and hasn't seemed to have too much of an issue with me leaving... yet... hopefully that continues. 

I have Tuesdays & Thursdays off so we might pop on by this week and next to see what it's like, and if she feels comfortable. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you can, have your DD visit the classroom a few times before she actual starts - in the week or two before she starts.  See how long she can stay, stay with her the 1st time or two and then ask if she can stay for an hour or two the week before she starts without you being there.  It will help her get to know the teachers and the room and even some of the kids.  Also just talking it up at home will help - how much fun she will have, talk about the things she will do, how everything works, the daily schedule ( the school should provide you with a daily schedule, a basic plan of themes or events, a menu if your child will eat there).  Talk about how it is OK to be nervous or scared and talk about ways to help her feel better.  Send her with a lovey if needed - even if it stays in her backpack the whole time, her just knowing it is there might be helpful.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

The transition really depends on your child. You can prepare all you want, but certain children will just have a tougher time than others and you really won't know that until it actually happens.

I would visit the school and read books like "The Kissing Hand" and "Llama Llama Misses Mama". 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    When DS started preschool for the first time after being at home with me for three years, we let him warm up to it by going two half days one week, three half days the second week, etc.  We gradually built him up to the time that he was going to be going there on a regular basis.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"