Washington Babies

Child Passport for trip to Canada - a question - Updated

We are planning on going to BC in December to visit friends and do not have a passport for DD. It looks like she will only need a certified copy of her birth certificate under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Has anyone traveled to Canada recently with their LO and not had a passport?

Call me paranoid, but I don't want to get to the border and get turned around and time is running out to get a passport for her. TIA!

In case anyone is curious or planning a trip to Canada. After making my way through quite the phone maze at the State Department, they told me to call the Border Patrol as those will be the people letting us back into the Country. If your child is under 16 and you are travelling by air to Canada or Mexico, you will need a passport. If your child is under 16 and you are travelling by land or sea to Canada or Mexico, you only need a certified birth certificate.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo

Re: Child Passport for trip to Canada - a question - Updated

• Good to know! We like going up to Canada, but I was not looking forward to having to get a passport for the LO... :)

Thanks for doing the research!

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wish I would have seen this sooner so you didn't have to go through that maze! My Mum lives in B.C. and we have never had an issue with just using C's birth certificate. Whixh border crossing are you going through? Just a bit of warning, coming back through on the American side is always longer and they do random searches on cars so don't be freaked. Sometimes they just ask you to pop your trunk. Have a good visit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I got LO a passport card, they are good for 5 years and cheaper. Passport cards are not good for air travel. 

https://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Keep in mind both parents must be present to get the passport or passport card, you can print out a form and have it notorized by the parent that is not present. 

• I will not lie, I went the passport route so that my child will have to carry a passport with a baby photo for a while.  I kid, I kid.  Kind of.  K's passport photo is epic - total baby wtf face.

For me it just seemed easier to get her a passport so I can grab all three and store them together when we travel.  And it is a cool memento :)  And I dream of international travel...

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Hubby's Aunt and Uncle traveled across the border with their children and just used their birth certificates. No problems there...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • Sorry I didnt' see this earlier.. I could have saved you the crazy phone calls too...  It's all on the Dept of State's website:

https://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"