Maryland Babies

Can we talk laptops for kids?

I want to get Ava some sort of learning "laptop" for Christmas. There are so many and I have no idea where to start. She has a Barney one that just has numbers and shapes and she loves it so I think she would also play with a new one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one? Leap Frog, VTech?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can we talk laptops for kids?

• Sophia got the LeapFrog one for her birthday last month. It is fine, but nothing special. I wish I had something great to say about it, but I guess I'm indifferent. So, I can't say it is a complete waste of money, but at the same time, I probably wouldn't run out and get it today to make sure it doesn't sell out before Christmas. Oh, but if you find the dog "Violet" or "Scout" to be annoying, it is pretty much the exact same thing, just in laptop form instead of stuffed dog. Same songs, same voice.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would look at what games/accessories are available and go from there.

My SIL gave us her daughter's old leap pad and while its nice, the games that go with it are way too old for DD.  Even the simple preschooler games are too much for her now and frankly, she gets frustrated with them. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageucgrad:
    Sophia got the LeapFrog one for her birthday last month. It is fine, but nothing special. I wish I had something great to say about it, but I guess I'm indifferent. So, I can't say it is a complete waste of money, but at the same time, I probably wouldn't run out and get it today to make sure it doesn't sell out before Christmas. Oh, but if you find the dog "Violet" or "Scout" to be annoying, it is pretty much the exact same thing, just in laptop form instead of stuffed dog. Same songs, same voice.

my mom gave DD that Scout dog sometime after her 2nd birthday - seriously?  And, she was all excited for me to register it and add a bunch of stuff to it.  Uhhh - that thing's been at the bottom of the toy box for 6 months now!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Evie loved her Violet dog.  She played with it all the time until the batteries started to die.  I'm a bad mommy and never got around to changing them out.  She just dug it out from the bottom of her toybox and has been carrying it around.  It will randomly say, "Hi Evelyn," but there isn't enough power for it to do anything else.

DH doesn't want to get Evie a play lap top, he wants to get her a tablet pc.  But he is a geek, so it is in his nature... 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • FFC: I love Ava's Violet dog. DH set it up so it sings different songs with her name on it and things she likes. Ava loves it too and still plays with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD got the Fisher-Price XL1 for Christmas last year from my dad w/ 3 extra games (Toy Story, Princesses and Ni Hao Kai-Lan.) She likes it and can do a bunch of things w/ it (games, drawing, books that read themselves, etc.) She also has an iTouch- which she mainly ends up watching shows I have downloaded on, but there are tons of v. educational apps. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"