Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Are you giving out any "candy alternatives"?

I noticed at Target the other day that they have a whole section of "candy alternatives" -- pretzel packs, stickers, etc. -- in the Halloween section. I thought it was pretty interesting; I haven't seen as much space dedicated to that kind of stuff in past years. 

Will you give out candy only to ToT'ers, or offer non-sweets as well? Or give only non-candy?

I was surprised last year, when I tossed in some leftover sticker sheets from DD1's toddler class party, that they were just as popular as the candy. I will definitely give out candy, but I picked up some cute little boxes today that are filled with mini-stickers instead of sweets to have in our treat bowl as well. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010

Re: Are you giving out any "candy alternatives"?

• Options
    I never give candy. I also dislike Halloween (odd, I know). I usually get something like teddy grahams or goldfish packs.
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We give pretzal bags.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we're doing a mix -- candy and pretzel bags.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    I think I will do sweets, but you are right about the stickers.  With a certain age group, I can imagine them being a huge hit.   I know DS would go for the stickers every time!
  • Options

We are handing out the mini bags of pretzels. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Options
    I'm giving out candy - it's Halloween :) I remember being a kid and sorting through my "stash" I wouldn't want to deprive my kids of that. It didn't seem to have any negative effect on me. I will end up giving DH a very large portion of what DD gets from trick or treating to take to work with him and we'll keep a reasonable amount here. 
    image image

• Options

I found a pack of 12 halloween themed pencils for a buck at the dollar store a few years ago so I threw them in with the candy.

EVERY single kid chose a pencil when given the choice.

They've already got a bag full of candy so the pencil is different and cool, KWIM?

This year we're only doing the dollar store pencils and halloween themed tattoo boxes that I got 75% off at the end of last season at our local grocery store.

No sweets from us this year!  I have no doubt that we're not robbing kids of a fun experience - just offering an alternative in a bag chock full of candy already!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    Pretzels for us too.  There aren't many "safe" Halloween candies for my son, so it makes sense for us to give something else.  PLUS, we don't get many trick-or-treaters and I do not need all the extra candy to eat. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

uh yeah, its Halloween, I'm giving out candy - that's the whole point of ToTing for kids.

I'm not policing every kid in my neighborhood, if their parents don't want them to eat candy, they will intercept it and give it out slowly.  DD will only go to a handful of houses and she'll probably end up eating about 4 pieces of candy total over a week. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We do candy for the big kids and goldfish or animal crackers for the wee ones. Pretzels go right in the trash if DD gets them...none of us care for them. Ick!
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    We're doing small bags of cheeseballs and then regular candy to the TOTers. All the parents have been asked to bring treats for the class on Halloween to daycare, so I'm sending a small bag of Pirate's Booty and a sticker sheet for each child.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    Our schools have always asked that treats there be candy alternatives.  Some people listen, others don't.  I always get the pretzels b/c my kids can't have chocolate and I like to know they can have something. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    We always do candy, and to be honest I hated getting the non-candy stuff as a kid. My mom usually made us throw away the non-candy stuff anyway b/c she didn't want the extra plastic toys, etc littering the house. We bought a fair amount of DS safe candy (non-dairy) so that if he gets a lot of candy that contains milk, he can trade it out at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Lite-brite - wanted to add that I think we live in one of the more health conscious areas of the country.

I've noticed an increase in non-sweets just in the last 5 years that we've been doing the whole trick or treat thing.

I think if we trick-or-treated in my Mom's neighborhood (not in our state) we wouldn't receive a single non-candy item. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

uh yeah, its Halloween, I'm giving out candy - that's the whole point of ToTing for kids.

I'm not policing every kid in my neighborhood, if their parents don't want them to eat candy, they will intercept it and give it out slowly.  DD will only go to a handful of houses and she'll probably end up eating about 4 pieces of candy total over a week. 

Ditto.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"