C-sections
Options

has the thought of another CS made you not want any more kids?

Before DS2 was born, we were pretty sure that we weren't planning on having any more kids.   We had talked about possibly having a 3rd, to try for a girl, but the chances of us actually following through on that were already pretty slim.   And this was when I was still planning a vaginal birth.

I asked my OB while I was in recovery if we did decide to have another baby, would I be a good candidate for vbac since I delivered my 1st vaginally and needed a c-section this time due to fetal distress.   She hesitated and said she really wouldn't feel comfortable with me having a VBAC because my uterus had a lot more blood vessals than normal.   It took her 2x as long to stitch it back up and she feared I was at much higher risk for a uterine rupture.  

Then when I had such a horrible recovery and so many complications resulting in me being in the hospital for almost a month, knowing that I would have a RCS if we did decide to have a 3rd.....well that made us 100% certain we are done!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: has the thought of another CS made you not want any more kids?

• Options
    DH and I always wanted a big family. We had always thought 6. I had a really rough c/s recovery and told DH I couldn't do it again. For a while I thought we'd be one and done. But as DD grew and I got to see what a delight children really are that plan changed as well. I am hoping to vbac DD#2 but with my due date quickly approaching I am having to accept that a rcs is a real possibility. I do believe that my recovery from my c/s was more difficult than the norm and if I do end up with another c/s this time I am confident that it will be better. Regardless, I don't think we will be having as many children as we once thought. We're now thinking 3-4. The only way I can imagine changing that plan is if (God forbid) something terrible happened with this birth. I would not be willing to risk my own life to have more children, if it came to that. I have to be a mom to the lovely ladies I've already been blessed with.
  • Options
    It sounds like you were already thinking you could be done before talking with your OB.  I had a lot of complications with my DD and here we are again 2 years later waiting for #2 expecting all of the same complications.  I guess it just depends on your situation.  I couldn't imagine being done after just one but this time I am positive we are going to be done after 2.  We had always thought we would have three as well.  I guess sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I knew years before conceiving DD that I would probably need to deliver via c/s. I have uterine fibroids that complicate things a bit. When DD was breech, it just confirmed what I already knew. Since my c/s was scheduled, it wasn't the ordeal that I think many women go through. My recovery was pretty easy as a result, so I'm psyched to have #2 in a couple years. I have no desire to go for vbac.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I knew I would only have two kids if DS2's birth ended in a RCS, because I'm not comfortable with having more than two c-sections. Since his birth was a VBAC in the end, I'm now open to having a third, but it's still up in the air (and it wouldn't be for a few years - DS2 is too crazy and exhausting right now!).

Feel free to ignore me, but I would get a second opinion about what your doctor said if you want. It would seem like VBAC would be a safer option if you have a lot of blood vessels, because there's less trauma to the uterus than with a RCS. And if you've already had a vaginal birth, your chance with VBAC is higher anyway.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

This is funny because the thought of having another vaginal delivery made me not want any more kids! 

I'm having a c-section this time because of all the damage from my vaginal delivery (plus as of yesterday baby was measuring 40 weeks & I'm only 37 weeks, so they may have put me in for a c-section anyway).  I think that there are horrible experiences/recoveries and great experiences/recoveries no matter how you have the baby.  Some of us just have crappy luck with delivery, I guess.  I know plenty of people who had waaaay better experiences & recoveries with a c-section than I had with a vaginal delivery.  I don't expect the c-section to be a walk in the park, and I know I'll be hurting & not able to take care of the baby myself right away, but I think knowing that ahead of time will make the experience not too bad for me.  One of the worst parts of the vaginal delivery was that everything I heard & read made it seem like a magical, beautiful experience, and it just plain wasn't.  That made dealing with the aftermath so much more difficult because not only did I feel like I failed, but I felt like I was completely alone.

That being said, we're also done having kids after this one.  Not because of the delivery, but because two is just plenty for us, emotionally, physically, financially, and time-wise.  We know we can be better parents to two children than to be spread too thin with 3.  Nothing wrong with that.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

At first it did. I ended up with an emergency CS, and honestly couldn't even talk about it until Ryan was about 6 months old.

Now that time has faded my memories a little bit I'm not as scared. Especially since I'm hoping my scheduled CS will be much less scary!

• Options

I had a smooth c/s delivery and recovery, so whether I have a RCS or VBAC is not that concerning to me with the next pregnancy.  I would definitely do it again, it's the complicated pregnancy, weeks of hospital bedrest and NICU that I never want to repeat! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"