Baby Showers

Grandmother Shower

https://www.grandparents.com/gp/content/expert-advice/family-matters/article/should-grandmothers-have-baby-showers.html

Found it interesting, if a little odd.  I suppose it makes sense if the grandparent is going to be doing frequent childcare without the parents.  I just hope no one throws the grandparents a shower while neglecting the mother.  

Married 5-24-2008;
BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
My Ovulation Chart 
BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
BFP 02-17-2015
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Grandmother Shower

• It seemed like most of the time it was the granndmother's friends who threw it, not the MTB's friends, so it doesn't seem likely that the mother would be neglected.

I think its a really cute and sweet idea, especially in situations where a grandparent needs all those items because they will be the main babysitter.  Plus, who doesn't want a reason to celebrate with your friends such a wonderful occasion? 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I suggested I do this for a friend of mine on here a long time ago and it was poo-poo'd so I didn't do it.  I think it is a great idea.  I ended up getting my friend a big bag of things she was able to use when she watched her grandbaby and she was so appreciative.  She is still using some of the stuff!

If it is the grandmother's friends doing it I doubt that would interfere with a shower for the MTB.  If I had done one for my friend it would have just been her friends.  I don't even know her DIL or her son.

Just read the article...not sure why the MTB would even be invited (it isn't for her).  I guess my thought is more for grandmothers who will be caring for the grandbaby...rather then just a short visit.  I'm not necessarily on-board if the grandbaby will just be visiting...the parents can just bring a PNP and some toys for the visit IMO.  I'm not sure why a MTB would be upset about it.  Not all grandparents have the income to go out and buy stuff to keep at their house...especially those retired and on a fixed income.

• Loading the player...
  • imagerhubarb123:

I suggested I do this for a friend of mine on here a long time ago and it was poo-poo'd so I didn't do it.  I think it is a great idea.  I ended up getting my friend a big bag of things she was able to use when she watched her grandbaby and she was so appreciative.  She is still using some of the stuff!

If it is the grandmother's friends doing it I doubt that would interfere with a shower for the MTB.  If I had done one for my friend it would have just been her friends.  I don't even know her DIL or her son.

Just read the article...not sure why the MTB would even be invited (it isn't for her).  I guess my thought is more for grandmothers who will be caring for the grandbaby...rather then just a short visit.  I'm not necessarily on-board if the grandbaby will just be visiting...the parents can just bring a PNP and some toys for the visit IMO.  I'm not sure why a MTB would be upset about it.  Not all grandparents have the income to go out and buy stuff to keep at their house...especially those retired and on a fixed income.

She the one popping the kid out she needs to be there.

The ladies at my mom's office threw her one, yes i was there. It was WONDERFUL my mom got all the stuff she needed to watch my DS and also got a TON of "i love my grandmother" stuff.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
  • I think a whole shower is just weird (UNLESS the grandmother/grandparents are going to be the main form of childcare). My IL's  have not had a grand kid in 15 years so they dont have any baby stuff anymore. This is the first grand kid for my parents. My mom had her shower when she was a mom-to-be, and my MIL had her shower when she was the mom-to-be. Selfish as it sounds, I don't feel like I should have to "share" my first shower with anyone else that isn't the one carrying this baby for 9 months (or in my case....40w4d...and counting!). They didn't have to share their baby shower experience with anyone else and neither should it (regardless if it is on a different day/time). My mom's friends got together and got her a few little odds and ends for if she happens to have LO over (soaps, jammies, toys) but they just gave them to her as a new grandma gift and didn't have an entire shower for her (perfectly acceptable in my book). But my mom now has her own nursery in her house and went out to get a baby monitor and all kinds of other stuff and thinks she is going to have this baby all of the time. Only problem is that she won't as I will be a SAHM for awhile so there will be no reason for LO to be over there. And if we run out for a bit, LO will go to IL's due to the fact that they live next to us and it is more convienent.....and they are the ones with no baby gear. Sorry...little bit of a vent added in. But regardless....a gift for the grandparent is nice.....and entire shower for the grandparent, ummmmm no. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • imagediscobelle:

My Mom's friends threw her a Surprise Grandmother Shower. They are the type ladies who look for any excuse to throw a fun party.  It was just her close friends, and it sounds like they had a good time.  She loved it.

They didn't do a bunch of big ticket items, just a bunch of little things baby uses when he stays at her house.  Books, toys, toiletries, etc.

She was super excited about becoming a first time grandmother, and I think it was nice she got to celebrate with her friends like that.

This is cute and I don't understand why people get so worked up about it.  Who cares what your parent's friends do?  

My mom had a grandma shower at work with her teacher friends, although my dad is retired and takes care of my niece, so I guess it's different.  But even if the grandmother is not the primary caretaker, I don't see an issue with the grandma getting small gifts like toys and such for when the baby comes to visit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"