Eco-Friendly Family

best dog food

I know I've seen a post about dog food before - what is the best eco-friendly dog food that isn't a fortune?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: best dog food

• I don't know exactly what you mean by 'eco-friendly' dog food, but it you want to compare dog foods, this site https://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ is excellent.  The food is rated on quality of the ingredients.  I wanted to buy a good quality dog food w/o fillers like corn that dogs don't really digest.  FWIW, we have fed Wellness, Innova and Taste of the Wild.
  • The website posted above is an excellent resource.  We won't feed anything less than 4 stars.  We've fed Canidae ALS, Innova EVO and when she was a puppy, Chicken Soup for the Puppy's soul (it was rated a 4 or 5 at the time... I think it might be lower now).  

When you are considering cost, consider that you will likely feed LESS food when it's a better quality.  So a more expensive bag will last much longer. I did calculations for a friend that she'd SAVE money by switching from Beneful to Canidae. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I also highly suggest looking at dogfoodanalysis.com, it's an awesome site with tons of info.

We feed our dogs Taste of the Wild and have for the past 3-4 years.  1 of the big bags will feed our 3 dogs for about 2 weeks (might be closer to 3, I don't keep close track anymore).  We have a lab, a husky mix, and a pug, the big dogs get 2 cups per day and the pug gets 1 cup (split into 2 meals).

We've also used blue buffalo in the past and liked it but switched to TOTW because it's grain free and was cheaper.  Several years ago we fed nutro ultra, but I wouldn't trust is anymore since Mars (the candy company) bought them out, the last time we tried it our lab started puking up yellow foam so we went straight back to TOTW and haven't looked back.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use TOTW as well and my dog loooooooves it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used to feed EVO but stopped when P&G acquired Innova. We now feed Acana.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We feed our St. Bernard, Molly, the Orijen Red.  It is very highly rated and she does beautifully on it.  For a 100+ lb dog, she gets about 4 cups a day.  She is super healthy and happy.  We used their large breed puppy formula until she was over a year and a half (standard for large breed).  We liked Orijen because it is made and manufactured by the company in their own facility - not made in factory somewhere that makes 12 different brands of dog food.  They also source their ingredients locally, which I really like.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

• Not sure what you situation is, but if you have the time, this might be an option. I save the bones & Veggie scraps from everything we eat (i also have my dogless friends save their bones & Give them to me) I freeze them until i'm ready to use them. Approximaetly once a month, i take out the crock pot, trow all the bones in there, cover the bones with water, and set the crock pot to high for about 4 hours. after that, the left over meat just falls off the bones. then i'll toss in the veggies and any other meat we have left over (like fish or whatever) along with barley or brown rice (or whatever is sitting around the house) and let that cook until everything is good and mushy. then i freeze it in zip lock bags (about 5 servings per bag). each week i take out 1 bag and use it till its gone. because i'm not using preservatives it needs to stay frozen as long as possible.

If i was really fancy, i'd take all the bones and throw them in a pressure cooker until they turned to mush. the bone marrow in the bones is SUPER good for your dog.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"