North Carolina Babies

Is $33 too much for DD's winter coat?

DH thinks it is given that she'll likely only wear it one season. I don't agree. It's 4 coats in one: Outer layer, inner layer that is reversible and both put together. So, she should be able to wear it through the spring. Also, it has a removable hood, which I think is a nice feature. (If the Target website wasn't being stubborn right now, I'd post a picture.) 

DH's thought is that she doesn't need something so nice because she won't be out in really cold weather too much. But, I know my parents (who are daycare), and they won't take her outside to play in the winter if she doesn't have a super-warm coat.

Please tell me if I'm wrong! Although, I'd hate to have to admit that to DH...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is $33 too much for DD's winter coat?

• It is a bit much but honestly I would probably get it if I liked it enough.  It sounds great :)  It is hard to find a good deal on coats in the store right now.  Even Old Navy is $30+.  Of course, I want to buy him a $50 (or more) North Face jacket so who am I to talk? 

I won't be buying that jacket by the way, I just want to buy it.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its not that bad. We spent $12 on a "light" jacket for DS, but still need a warmer heavy coat. I've been looking for one that isn't too pricey, but most are around $20 - so we'll spend that much total. If the one you're looking at can be used as a light coat also, its a fair price. 
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Loading the player...
  • Eh, I might not spend that much at her age, only because likely it won't fit next year (ETA: Holly's coat from last year does fit her this year though--so it could happen!). But if it does double duty as a lightweight jacket, you're obviously getting lots more for the money.

Tell G that it's a fraction of the cost of the wedding dress you'll be buying her someday, so settle down. Wink

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Personally, I think it is too  much, because she really won't get more than a season out of it. I generally buy one size larger so she can get more use. I got Jocelyn's two coats last season at a consignment store for this year, one was a brand new lands end coat, and it was like $6, and one was a light cotton coat for less than that!! I also got her a really warm hoodie style one at Target that was maybe $8 last year and I got it really big so it is still a little big this year and it will last through this whole winter. So in total on three coats I think I spent like $20. I SAH and we are outside a lot plus they go out at preschool and she rarely wore the really warm one, I think she wore it like the day it snowed after Christmas and one other time.
  • Now I feel bad because I've been planning to get Nate a $30 coat from Old Navy. I'm pretty sure that's how much I spent on his coat last year too... I actually thought that was a good deal! Embarrassed He has several hoodies, but they won't be warm enough to play outside when it gets colder.
  • Nope doesn't seem like too much to me. I just ordered D3 a North Face jacket if it makes you feel better about spending $33. :)
  • ECUGirl and Mrs.LLG, you are making me feel much better! I found $60 and $85"cold weather only" coats at REI that I loved, but knew DH would have a fit over them. So, I could easily justify a $33 coat that could be used in a range of temperatures. I'm very glad I'm not the only one who spends a bit more money on coats!
  • I don't think that's a lot for a winter jacket either.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Of course, I don't have children, but I couldn't imagine thinking that 33 dollars was too much for a winter coat!  But that's just me.  I would buy it for my nephew's. 
  • Nah, I think I spent around that much last year on Wy's coat...we got lucky and were given two coats this year from his other Grandma, so we don't have to spend it this year, so I'll probably go ahead and get his snowbib which at Old Navy is $25 right now, so I'm spending about the same with shipping. So don't feel bad. Tell my brother to get over spending money. You know if she could say "Daddy i want it" he'd have already bought it for her. Wink
  • imagetracelini:
    Nah, I think I spent around that much last year on Wy's coat...we got lucky and were given two coats this year from his other Grandma, so we don't have to spend it this year, so I'll probably go ahead and get his snowbib which at Old Navy is $25 right now, so I'm spending about the same with shipping. So don't feel bad. Tell my brother to get over spending money. You know if she could say "Daddy i want it" he'd have already bought it for her. Wink

Target had snowbibs last week for $12

• I haven't spent that much on a coat yet.  But if I were to spend that much then I'd get a size bigger so she could wear it two seasons.  It sounds like a great coat and she'll probably wear it more than you think esp if she can wear it through the spring. 
  • I wouldn't spend that much. I bought Katie a coat just like that last year at Walmart for $19 but I also bought it a size up so she could wear it for two seasons so I'd get my money's worth.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• I wouldn't feel guilty about spending $33 for a coat, especially since it has so many layers/uses.  I agree with the idea of buying a size up so that you'll possibly get another season out of it, but even if you didn't I think $33 is reasonable.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"