LGBT Parenting

Traveling & Twins: Poll

We have a credit with Southwest that we need to use before 12/15- so E and I were discussing going to see my mom in Myrtle Beach, SC. BUT, our dog is not doing great and we dont want to board them, so now we have a dilemma. Let me know your thoughts and why you voted, if you care to share:

[Poll]
image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Traveling & Twins: Poll

• I voted crazy answer because while it will be more stressful on you I think it is the better option in the long run. You will only be paying for one extra seat that way so it saves some money. Your mom gets to see  BOTH grandbabies. It gives the wifey a much needed respite. The sickish doggie is not left home alone.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm w/ PP.  I know its crazy and will be stressful, but its a short flight. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I voted crazy answer as well. You will have to purchase an additional ticket (only one kid per lap) but here is why:

- Don't stay home.  Your mom will be thrilled to see the kids and you will love seeing them together.

- Give E the break.  You are both rock star moms but I kinda know what it is like to have the kid 24/7 (although I get a work break and E doesn't). While E will miss them dearly the break will let her focus on herself which should be heavenly.

- With E at home you won't have to board the dog and you both won't be worrying about the dog while away.

- The airline and airport staff will help you.  I obviously only travel with one kid but whenever I've needed help people are there to assist. 

- It's a short flight.

Now if you choose this option here are few things to think about:

- Are there friends/family in FL you could borrow pack-n-play froms? Highchairs? Car seats?  If so I would have your mom start asking around.  My mom was able to hit the grandma squad of friends and borrow pieces for our stays. (Well except the car seat which I took with us)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think you could take the kids alone if you want to give her a break, but you will still have to buy another seat - and in that care, she could go if it is just a money issue.

If you decide to go alone, E can get a pass to go back to the gate with you even if she isn't flying which would be helpful to get through security. Are either of them walking? If so, I would carry one, put a backpack leash on the other (if walking) and take onboard a Costco Scenera car seat (super lightweight and safe.) On board install the car seat in the window seat, put one kid in the seat and hold the other (no, you can't have 2 lap babies in the same row since there are only 4 oxygen masks - so if you all four of you went and they were lap babies, you would have to split up anyway.) Bring lots of snacks and new toys and books and remember this is only 2-3 hrs of your entire life. ;) Southwest is nice enough that if there are extra seats on the flight, they will let you have it so you could potentially get both kids in car seats (they can tell you at the counter the likelyhood of getting that extra seat so you know if you should even bother bringing the seat to the gate.) People are also willing to help and I have passed one of my kids to a nice looking mom/grandma type while trying to install a car seat or fold a stroller on the jetway.

Just go armed with a ton of snacks and patience. :)

- signed a mom who has flown with her twins 20+ times. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image2brides:

- signed a mom who has flown with her twins 20+ times. :)

Is that roundtrip or each way? 20 trips in 5 years of life - BabyTT has something to aspire to!  She'll hit 6 round trips by the end of the year so I guess she's on her way.  I love traveling kids :-)

• PS. I posted the same poll over on the Multiples Board and someone said this:

"We traveled with the twins when they were about 5 months old.  I would say either take one with you or leave them both home. There is no way that I could have taken them both myself. "

I love the LGBT bumpies, but you all are crazy!! Can't wait to tell E your votes :-)

image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Maybe we are just used to doing things the hard way... Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageleapgirl8:
    Maybe we are just used to doing things the hard way... Smile

lol! You win the inter webz for the day  Yes

• imageleapgirl8:

ha! i love it :)

• imageleapgirl8:

Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh this morning Leap.

I voted with the other ladies for all the reasons mentioned above. Wifey gets a break, dog gets wifey's full attention and no worrying while you're gone, the kids and grandma get to see each other and it's a short plane ride and with new toys and books and snacks you'll be fine. And your wife will think you're even more of a rockstar.Wink

• imagenorika33:

PS. I posted the same poll over on the Multiples Board and someone said this:

"We traveled with the twins when they were about 5 months old.  I would say either take one with you or leave them both home. There is no way that I could have taken them both myself. "

I love the LGBT bumpies, but you all are crazy!! Can't wait to tell E your votes :-)

I'd do it. I lurk on Multiples a lot and sometime post but a lot of them are high stress and gloom and doom. Its 5 hrs of your life counting airport time. Just bring snacks for those around you on the plane ;)

• I agree that a lot of MoMs are mired down in the fact they have twins (present company excluded) and spend half of their lives complaining. Plus, it makes me laugh that the woman on the multiples board who said not to do it has twins that are only 6m old. Honestly, it would MUCH easier to take 2 6m olds alone than 2 15m olds. :)
  • First let me say I totally think you could handle the crazy option. It might be rough, but think of how good you'd feel having done it! :)

Second, can I add an option? I think that it might be possible to get an "extension" on using your credit with Southwest. I would think that if you used your credit to buy a ticket for a trip before 12/15, then just not take *that* flight, it would reset your expiration clock to be a year from the new trip's date. You'd definitely have to talk to them to make sure that would work, but in principal it seems like it would. Then later when your dog is better you can all go visit your mom! :):)

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Haha.  I happen to think that you guys are all crazy.  After the whirlwind that is my twin nephews flying I would not want to do it with more than 1 kid to adult ratio at that age. Is there any chance you could take  a second solo trip somewhere else with one kid, and take this trip with one kid?  Individual time is great for twins.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • imagethiswillbe:

First let me say I totally think you could handle the crazy option. It might be rough, but think of how good you'd feel having done it! :)

Second, can I add an option? I think that it might be possible to get an "extension" on using your credit with Southwest. I would think that if you used your credit to buy a ticket for a trip before 12/15, then just not take *that* flight, it would reset your expiration clock to be a year from the new trip's date. You'd definitely have to talk to them to make sure that would work, but in principal it seems like it would. Then later when your dog is better you can all go visit your mom! :):)

Maybe but SW still charges the fee $100+ fee to rebook a flight you cancel. 

• I voted crazy option. Provided--there are extra arms to help you out once you get there.

Second choice--all go. 

But, you're tough--you can do it. And your wife will loooooove you for it. Grandma will loooove you for it. Kids will looove it.

• Oh, that is right! If you call SW, you have a year from the date of our purchase to use without a penalty. I just did this with L's ticket last month Maine! You cN extend another 6 months after the year for $50/ticket.
  • Oh, that is right! If you call SW, you have a year from the date of our purchase to use without a penalty. I just did this with L's ticket last month Maine! You cN extend another 6 months after the year for $50/ticket.
  • imageTwo*True:
    imagethiswillbe:

First let me say I totally think you could handle the crazy option. It might be rough, but think of how good you'd feel having done it! :)

Oh, shoot! I haven't ever encountered a fee when changing/cancelling flights with SW, but it's been a long time since I've had to do that, so I guess they changed things. That's too bad!
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • imagethiswillbe:
    imageTwo*True:
    imagethiswillbe:

Oh, shoot! I haven't ever encountered a fee when changing/cancelling flights with SW, but it's been a long time since I've had to do that, so I guess they changed things. That's too bad!

Nope, you are right and I am wrong.  I had to think back to my last SW flight (it's been a lot of other airlines lately).  SW only charges the difference in airfare.

• I have never flown with twins, but I have taken many, many flights on my own with one child (E recently took his 15th round-trip flight), and I think it would be do-able. Easy? No. Fun? Definitely no. But do-able. As others have said, the flight crew will help you, and so will the other passengers. I have been shocked by some of the kindnesses we've been shown while traveling. My mantra when flying with E is always that at some point, like labor, the flight will end. No matter how bad it is, even if he screams his head off the entire way (which he never has) and everyone on the plane wants to kill me, it WILL end and Grandma will be there waiting with open arms to take over. Smile A portable DVD player is a wonderful invention... Good luck with your decision!
    Kendyl and Mary - June 10, 2006

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"