May 2011 Moms

happy at your job?

Now that DS has arrived and the school year is well underway I find myself really thinking about my career.  I've been a middle school teacher for 10 years now and I feel like I'm in a rut.  I'm just not into it right now.  It's, of course, spilling over into my home life.  I feel like I worry so much about what goes on at school that my family is not getting the best of me & that's not fair.   IDK if it's the arrival of baby #2, # of years at job, or my age (34yo).  Is anyone else rethinking their careers now that LO is here?  Being a SAHM is not at option for financial reasons.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: happy at your job?

• yup. Since I've been back from maternity leave there have been some significant budget cuts at my job affecting raises, continuing education, and NO OVERTIME PAY!!!  (we were hourly and recently they switched us to salary).  I most recently did a 9 day stretch with no additional compensation.  I'm looking for an out!!
  • Luckily for me, I love my job (elem teacher). But I've switched grades a lot in the past five years, so that keeps it fresh.  I'd rather SAH, but if I have to work (and i do) then I'm happy I'm teaching.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup. I work in social work and have been at my position for over four years and it is getting tough to keep getting up to go to work. I wish more than anything that I could be a SAHM but our finances are not where they need to be for that to happen. I am kind of looking for something a little less emotionally taxing now.
    DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • I have a very high-pressure job at a young entrepreneurial consulting firm and it requires more passion than I care to give it. I would really like to narrow my scope and have a simpler job but that's just not an option.  It's like poking sharp sticks in my eyes everyday just to respond to e-mail, attend meetings, etc.
  • Honestly no.  While I was on mat leave a lot of things changed, and now I feel like I am working in a completely different position and would rather be hanging with LO. 

Blah!  Oh well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some days yes, I do love my job but I love my kids more than anything in this world.  I miss them so much everyday.  It's harder for me this time around since I was home with DS until he was 11 months old.  I just feel like DD is so little and I worry about her, whereas I know DS loves school (as we call it), has friends and thrives on his routine.  I just miss them.  Crying
  • My job is pretty stable right now, and after many years of being disgruntled, they finally gave me a huge raise last year (after I got another offer and put my 2 weeks in).  So now that I am being compensated well, I feel like I can't leave.  Plus, it would mean cutting out household income in half, although DH makes slightly more than I do.

I am not in love with my job, but I do it well.  It's stressful, requires long hours sometimes, and travel.   I could stay home and be with the baby and have to significantly budget, but I don't want to have to struggle financially, and if DH lost his job we would be screwed.  So I just do the best I can, get lots of snuggles when I am home, and think about her future and how this extra income can go to a better house where she can run and play in a big backyard...a good school, clubs and activities, etc. 

• imagesnoopy5512:

Honestly no.  While I was on mat leave a lot of things changed, and now I feel like I am working in a completely different position and would rather be hanging with LO. 

Blah!  Oh well.

I feel the same exact way. I feel like i came back to a new company and job. I;m hating it right now and trying to figure out what my next steps will be. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"