Natural Birth

From the hospital to the birthing center. Anyone switch from OB to midwife?

Alrighty, so posted something similar on the Feb 2012 board, but was advised that the women who frequent this board might have some valuable insight. Anyways, I am currently 24w3d along w/ my first child and as it stands, I will be delivering this LO at a hospital w/ an OB. Now, when I first found out I was pregnant, I really did want to go the birthing center route, but decided against it as this is my first child, I'm nervous, etc. However, the further along I get, the more anxious I am about delivering in a hospital. I have no problem w/ pain meds if I need them and understand completely that sometimes interventions must take place for the sake of mother and child, but I really do want to strive for a natural birth and feel I would be better accommodated at a birthing center (the birthing center is also about 5mins from the hospital). I'm worried that at the hospital I would be stuck w/ an IV, anxious, nervous and who knows what else. Now, I really like my dr. and although I haven't seen a lot of her over the past several months, she has done her part to ensure I was comfortable and taken care of through morning sickness, vertigo and what not. I guess what I want to know is did any of you end up switching from OB to midwife later in pregnancy and if so did you have any regrets or was it a great decision for you? Did you tell your OB before switching? Did you go w/ a hospital birth or birthing center and did you have any regrets either way? If I switch, it will most likely be after testing for gestational diabetes, around 27w.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: From the hospital to the birthing center. Anyone switch from OB to midwife?

• Glad you made your way over here. :)

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Welcome! If you would like more information on Natural Birth, this is a great, supportive place for it!

I started my pregnancy with a new OB (we had just moved to the area) and once I told him that I was using the Bradley Birth method in preparation for (hopefully) a med-free birth, he said some things that really made me wonder just how supportive he was. So, at 25 weeks I switched to a practice across the street who had 2 midwives on staff. They both talked through my birth plan with me, I asked them about being able to eat while in labor, not getting an IV, not having a fetal heart monitor (I was a low risk pregnancy, and stayed that way), being able to walk, laboring at home as long as possible (I was going to be giving in birth at the hospital, but wanted to stay at home as long as possible)...they were very supportive, and most, if not all the births they did were med-free, with mom's whose wishes were similar to mine (so they were used to those requests).

It was a great decision and I don't regret it at all. I knew it right away too, because at our first appointment with the MW, she let DH use the the handheld doppler to find LO's heartbeat. The vibe was just so different with her. The only part I do regret was NOT telling the OB why I was leaving. I've often thought about writing a letter, but think it's silly since my LO is almost a year old!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I made the switch from OB/hospital care to MW/Birth Center care at about 24ish weeks and overall, I'm happy with my choice. I do wish I had known about all the costs before hand though - my birth center requires me to hire to birth assistant, which isn't covered by my insurance, so the cost of my delivery went from a $150 copay to over $1000 with the BA fees + the random $50 fee here & there that my BC charges. I feel a little nickled & dimed but I'd much rather be here than there. There's another BC in my metro area that doesn't have so many fees (and they have volunteer doulas!) but I didn't feel comfortable with their midwives, I felt really judged from the first appointment onwards, so I went with this one. I think for my next child, I'll switch insurance right before to a plan that gives 80% coverage for out-of-network providers that way I can use a CPM practice in the area instead of being confined to in-network CNMs.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok, it's complicated.

With my first, I started with my regular OB/GYN who I do like very much.  But I'd been toying with the idea of using a midwife and birthing center to be sure I'd get the natural birth I wanted.  Anyway, I had 2 appointments with the OB and then switched to a midwife practice sometime around 12 weeks.  I never told the OB why, I just requested a medical records transfer.  I planned to have a med-free water birth at the birthing center with the midwives.  But things didn't go as planned.  I went into labor at 36 weeks and was not allowed to deliver at the birthing center (have to be at least 37 weeks).  My midwives delivered me quickly and naturally at the hospital with zero interventions.  I never saw an OB while I stayed there.  I was really happy with the care I got from the midwives and the hospital nurses.  I was a weak, gory mess for a day or two and I really appreciated the nurses help.

I was so happy with the care I received, that this time I'm just planning to deliver naturally at the hospital again with the same midwives.  My only complication is that my pulse has been a bit high lately, so the midwives have started sending me to see a high-risk OB practice that's affiliated with the hospital.  The OBs are just checking to be sure the baby is growing on track.  My regular care is still coming from the midwives.

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to say.  You can deliver naturally in a hospital.  I think the intervention stuff depends a lot on your caregiver, not the facility.  

BTW, my hospital has a high c-section rate: 38.4% for 2009.

• The office I visit has OBs and midwives. Low riskpatients are allowed to chose OB or midwife. The closest birth center is over an hour away. So I decided to have a hospital birth with a midwife. The only intervention/medication I had were antibiotics since I was gbs positive. Even with this I was allowed to labor in a birth pool. I think a big factor is how supportive your provider is. Some OBs are very natural birth friendly. You will need to speech with yours to determine their opinion on things.
    imageimage
  • imagecros8380:

It was a great decision and I don't regret it at all. I knew it right away too, because at our first appointment with the MW, she let DH use the the handheld doppler to find LO's heartbeat. The vibe was just so different with her. The only part I do regret was NOT telling the OB why I was leaving.

I'm pretty sure I would be the same way if I didn't talk to my OB about it. I think it really would bother me a lot even though I know many women switch without saying anything. The birthing center did just get my records today, so chances are I will have to really make it a point to talk to her since I didn't schedule my next appointment. Just hope she's not offended my the switch... Huh?

Thanks to everyone who responded thus far, I really do appreciate the input. The Natural Birth board seems to have a wealth of info!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"