Natural Birth

Anyone consider refusing an induction?

Hello, I just posted this on my Birth Month board but wanted to pose the question to those of you here as well.

I am holding out for as long as possible and have even considered refusing the induction (lots of reading and visiting with midwives brought me to this thought).  Had our NST and AFI today and all looked great.  LO is still a nice avg size, amniotic fluid looks good.  Bishop's score is only a 5 so I'm not too thrilled about being induced for a number of reasons (8 or above is favorable for an induction).

The OB couldn't give me any legit reason why they "won't let me go beyond 42 weeks".  I even said for what reason can't I go beyond?  Because that is the protocol of this practice?  She said nothing.  I also found out they only use Cytotec and not Cervidil which is what I would in the least prefer.  BTW I just learned Cytotec costs .60 per dosage while Cervidil is upwards of $150.  Incredibly telling.

I know some may think I'm irresponsible for even considering refusing an induction...but I'm more curious to hear from those who've actually thought about it...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers

Re: Anyone consider refusing an induction?

• I went past 42 weeks with the full support of my MW.  She was monitoring me closely and there was literally no medical reason for an induction.  My DD came on her own at 43 weeks.

The only concern I would have is if they are going to be supportive enough to monitor you and not make your birth experience harder because you went against their wishes.  Like I said- I had the FULL support of my MW and that was one of the reasons I stuck with it.

You still have a week before you even have to worry about this and a LOT can happen in a week.  Most people do not go past 42 weeks, so I think you should try to put it out of your mind until you are closer.  

GL  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• I had considered it but given my amniotic fluid, my doula recommended against it (my son ended up being pretty big so I am not surprised).  That being said, I was able to convince my OB to induce me by breaking my water which actually did work. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My midwife mentioned today that my practice (combined OB/midwife) typically schedules people between 41-42 weeks. When I hesitated she asked if that was something I wanted to avoid, and said that if so they'll let me keep going as long as I agree to NSTs to make sure the baby is still okay. I'm cool with that. Maybe you can offer to work with them in a similar way.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Please insist on an induction method other than cytotec.  It is a dangerous drug and you are right that the only reason they use it is because it is super cheap.  It is also super effective because it causes massive contractions that have actually led to uterine ruptures in some cases.  Please research it for yourself.  Check out the FDA's statement regarding misoprostal (marketed as Cytotec) from an FDA Alert document "Risks of use in Labor and Delivery" dated 5-6-2005.

• imageBradleyInstructor:

Please insist on an induction method other than cytotec.  It is a dangerous drug and you are right that the only reason they use it is because it is super cheap.  It is also super effective because it causes massive contractions that have actually led to uterine ruptures in some cases.  Please research it for yourself.  Check out the FDA's statement regarding misoprostal (marketed as Cytotec) from an FDA Alert document "Risks of use in Labor and Delivery" dated 5-6-2005.

This.  I would consent to being induced at 42 weeks because I would worry about monitoring as PP said if you go against the doctor's advice.  However, I would NEVER consent to cytotec being used.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • GREAT info ladies!  Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!!!
  • It irks me the phrasing of "OB wont let me..."

Our bodies, our choices. It is illegal for anyone to perform medical procedures against your wishes. No one is going to forcefully drag you into a hospital, tie you up and perform any procedures on you.

Does this bug anyone else?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageindiana101:

It irks me the phrasing of "OB wont let me..."

Our bodies, our choices. It is illegal for anyone to perform medical procedures against your wishes. No one is going to forcefully drag you into a hospital, tie you up and perform any procedures on you.

That phrase does bother me, but we do need to work with our care providers.  If you refuse an induction, they can refuse to continue treating you.  It's a pretty messed up system, but they have their policies and procedures in place to minimize risk to themselves as well as Mom and baby.

To answer OP, my midwife doesn't induce unless absolutely medically necessary.  She's had some Mom's go to 44 weeks!  That was something I did not want to hear at 40.5 weeks pregnant, but still :)  I don't know how things would have gone with my original midwife practice...I only made it to 39 weeks with my first so we never got to that point.  I don't think I would have been comfortable with an induction, even at 42 weeks if everything looked good with me and the baby. 

I also wouldn't worry about it too much yet if I were you, you're 41 weeks, a lot can happen (and often does!) between 41-42 weeks.

imageimage 
  • This is my first, but I fully intend on refusing induction if they try to tell me I need to be induced due to going beyond my due date or they think baby will be big.  My little 5'3" mother went to 42 weeks with my brother without being induced and ended up with an 8lb 5 oz baby, but I was only 1 day late and ended up being 9lb 3oz.  I'm 5'6" and more heavily built, so I have every confidence in my body's ability to deliver without induction, even if I end up with an 11 pounder.

I agree with PP about them not being able to force medical procedures.  I've heard of women actually going to a different hospital midlabor when the hospital got too insistant, and the 2nd hospital let them deliver naturally.  It's not ideal to relocate mid-labor, but it's inspired me to do the same if the hospital starts refusing treatment if I don't go along with their wishes.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • imageindiana101:

It bugs me also. Unfortunately there are doctors out there that make it seem like you have no choice but to do what they say.  

OP- I think you are being responsible by questioning it and doing your own research rather than just blindly doing what your doctor says. You sound like you are very educated and are making informed decisions, there is nothing wrong with that. Your doctor should be fine with you continuing if NST and everything are okay, but like Pinksweetpea said they might try to make things difficult for you. I also agree with PPers that no matter what happens you should refuse Cytotec.

So no you are not crazy or irresponsible for considering refusing an induction. But don't worry about it too much, chances are you will go in to labor on your own before 42 weeks anyway.  

• imageBrideNamedMeg:
    imageindiana101:

That phrase does bother me, but we do need to work with our care providers.  If you refuse an induction, they can refuse to continue treating you.  It's a pretty messed up system, but they have their policies and procedures in place to minimize risk to themselves as well as Mom and baby.

Actually, for her OB to refuse treatment at this point in pregnancy would likely be considered patient abandonment. The laws vary state-to-state, but the OB would be at risk for being reported to a medical board for deserting a pregnant woman so late in her pregnancy.

Run, run far, far away from the Cytotec. You have the right to say "no." Say it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm only 15 weeks and really want to deliver naturally. I have heard many good things about it and the bad (the pain). I have heard of so many people being induced lately. I really don't want to be induced, I want everything to be as natural as possible. Of course, if something is wrong and I really need to be induced I'll go for it. I'm not using a midwife so does anyone have any suggestions on talking with my OB about this?
  • imagecaitlindenise:
    I'm only 15 weeks and really want to deliver naturally. I have heard many good things about it and the bad (the pain). I have heard of so many people being induced lately. I really don't want to be induced, I want everything to be as natural as possible. Of course, if something is wrong and I really need to be induced I'll go for it. I'm not using a midwife so does anyone have any suggestions on talking with my OB about this?

My aunt asked me if I was going to ask my dr to induce me because I really want my LO born on Jan 21st, which happens to be my mom and my sister's birthday (we really want 3 generations born on the same day).  The 21st is only 4 days before my EDD but I told my aunt I don't want to be induced.  If LO is ready on the 21st she'll come on her own, otherwise she's saying in there until she's ready.

I mentioned what my aunt had said to my OB and she says that as long as everything is fine she has no plans of inducing me at all, even if that means I go past my EDD.

Just ask your OB what her policy is for induction.  Does she do it routinely or on an as needed basis?  What about at the request of the patient?  How long after your EDD will she let you go before considering an induction?  Let her know that you want a natural birth and that you don't want an induction unless medically necessary.  I think having an open dialogue between pt and dr is essential.  If your dr refuses to listen to you or is in total oppositon to your plans you may need to consider finding a different provider.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone.  I put "let me go" in quotes because I also think it's a ridiculous statement.  I've read probably eight books on natural birth this pregnancy, watched documentaries, took Bradley classes and met with midwives some of whom are my friends.  I realize I have to give informed consent for any procedure that is not life-saving so to speak.

We have a particular insurance that does not allow midwives to deliver or I would have started and ended with one.  (We were not in a financial position to change insurance either.)  Our OB practice has a policy that they "won't let you go" beyond 42 weeks post EDD.  What I mostly think is ridiculous is that if the due date is an estimate then why isn't the two week post induction date also an estimate?  What I failed to ask them on the spot was whether they would continue NST and AFI observation if I did not agree to the induction.

We're following up with the Head OB of the dept and gathering more info...  I know one thing is certain, no Cytotec.  Thank you ladies!!

• I know my situation is/was rare but I wanted to add that your DH/SO know your wishes for no cytotec. I was induced for pre-e and a few other issues.  I agreed on the grounds that NO cytotec was to be used...even noted in my chart.  I delivered DS and the OB*who was on call* didn't ask my consent and gave me cytotec. For many reasons I was in no mind/place to see what she was doing. Once I did ask it was too late.  So make sure your DH/SO is also watching your back. Thankfully uterine rupture didn't occur and DS was already born.

Good luck and stand up for you and that precious bavt

• I refused an induction with my first.  They wanted to do it at 41 weeks.  I told them no.  I agreed to schedule it at 41w6d.  Baby came on her own at 41w4d.  More than likely your baby will come before 42w (most do). 
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • I'm definitely considering refusing an induction, if it comes to that -- certainly anything before 42 weeks, I'd refuse, without clear medical necessity!

The current estimated duration of pregnancy (i.e. 38 weeks after presumed conception) is based on Naegele's Rule, which was arbitrarily decided on in the 19th century.

More current medical studies, based on actual women with actual pregnancies, have shown that gestation is longer than that on average, such as "The length of uncomplicated human gestation." by Mittendorf, et al, from the June 1990 issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology, one of the leading medical journals on the subject, which showed that white primiparous women with private health care tended to actually go into spontaneous labor, on average, about eight days after Naegele theorized, and even multiparous women go into labor three days after Naegele's Rule implies.

Assuming you're a first-time mom, statistics seem to indicate you're right on the tipping point of that average length!

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrsS2203:

I know my situation is/was rare but I wanted to add that your DH/SO know your wishes for no cytotec. I was induced for pre-e and a few other issues.  I agreed on the grounds that NO cytotec was to be used...even noted in my chart.  I delivered DS and the OB*who was on call* didn't ask my consent and gave me cytotec. For many reasons I was in no mind/place to see what she was doing. Once I did ask it was too late.  So make sure your DH/SO is also watching your back. Thankfully uterine rupture didn't occur and DS was already born.

Good luck and stand up for you and that precious bavt

I'm curious if you have pursued any legal or other professional repercussions for your OB in this. Not providing informed consent and going against noted requests by a patient are no light matter. I'd make a BIG 'ol stink about that if I were in your shoes.   

• I think as long as you and the baby are fine, then why induce?? I plan on refusing an induction if I go past and they want to. I do have midwives and am hoping they are going to be more understanding about this than the OBs in the practice. But If my LO is healthy and so am I, then why turn it into something that could be very unnecessary. GL! :-)
  • There are 7 stillbirths per 1000 at 42 weeks and later. There are 3 stillbirths per 1000 from 37 to 41 weeks. Its your choice. As long as you understand the facts. The reason that doctors can't just give you this fact and let you decide is because even if he/she did and you refused an induction and had a stillbirth, you could still win a lawsuit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"