Baby Showers

Baby shower...what do you register for??

Ok, I'm new to this shower business. I had a bridal shower but it was more of a get together of family and friends. My MIL and DH's family are trying to throw me a baby shower and they are really pushing me to register at a few stores (Target, Walmart, etc) because we live 6 hours away and they want gift ideas.

My problem is I've never registered before, and I'm not sure what all to put on it. I know clothes and blankets, stuff like that, diapers and things that aren't too expensive. I'm just curious what all everyone else has put on there? And how expensive of things do you put on there? I mean, does it seem rude to put something on the registry that is like $150 bucks? That seems like a bit much, but again, I have no experience with it!

What do you ladies think??

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby shower...what do you register for??

• we registered at BRU and target and both places told us to register for everything, because A. whatever doesnt get gifted to you, you get a coupon for X amount off so you can purchase it in the end and B. If its on your registry and you were given it but they just didnt use your reg. or you were given multiples without a gift receipt your reg. would allow you to return it without any issues
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRedheadBaker:

You register for stuff you need for the baby. Get the book "Baby Bargains" if you need help picking out baby gear. 

Some people (myself included) put everything on a registry (or two, to give shower guests shopping options, or better pricing options), and use it as a checklist for themselves. Others don't feel comfortable putting higher-priced items on registries, as they think guests might feel obligated to buy it. 

I put a $189 Chicco Play Yard on my registry, because it's the one I wanted. If nobody bought it, I'd buy it myself. My aunt bought it for me. 

I think putting a few "high-dollar" items on the registry is smart. Sometimes a few people pitch in together on a "group gift."  And if nobody does, you might be able to use a registry completion coupon to buy it yourself at a discount. 

We did this and even put our nursery furniture that was $455-$555 a piece on there just because it took us forever to decide and agree on something that I didn't want to forget which one we decided on. I didn't expect anybody to buy that for us, but my dad did buy DS's crib after seeing our registry. I also had the travel system, pack-n-play, swing, highchair, monitor, you name it, it was on there. Don't be afraid to put multiple counts of diapers for each size as well as multiple counts for wipes. Target and Babies R US both have a checklist with how many of each items you should put on your registry just as a general guideline. Good luck and have fun with it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't register at no more than 3 places.  Put on your registry anything you have not already purchased for your baby.  Personally I would not register for any clothes (except maybe a couple of Halo sleepers) or blankets (except maybe one that goes with the nursery decor).  People will give you those things regardless and it is a PITA to try to find particular clothing in particular sizes.  You can register for a monitor, bottles or breastfeeding supplies, diapers, diaper bag, changing pad, sheets, jumperoo, bouncer, bassinet, carseat/stroller combo, baby swing, toys, etc.  You can also add some small things like bibs (different sizes), utensils, bowls/plates, bath supplies, cool mist humidifier, nose Frieda (much better than a bulb syringe), nail set (includes tiny clippers, etc), thermometer, bath supplies, diaper creams, etc.  Adding large purchase items is fine...some people like to go into together for a large gift.

• my family are they type to not buy off a registry, but i did end up registering at Target and Babies R Us. My word of advice, is try to do as much in store as possible. i tried to do as much online as possible (since i'm an online shopping) but many items weren't available in store and i didn't notice until it was too late. (although it was my fault, not targets).

i did some research and gathered a list from sites/lists i found online. however, places like BRU will give you a guideline list. but many items on there (from what i hear) are not necessary.

As for pricing, i think you should do that based on how you know your family is. My family i know would not purchase a $300 car seat, so i didn't register for one. But i've seen some people with (to me) expensive items and they said their family would purchase them. So you know your family best. i kept all my items mostly under $65-70 and only had a handful of items over that price. you know your family best. 

Also, take someone who is a mom with you to register for. My mom and sister went with me. we actually had a great time, took the day, went to dinner. it was definitely a fun day. they will have the best insight on what you'll need. 

• I put everything on there (including furniture, video monitar DH wanted, travel system).  We then bought the furniture and travel system on our own.  At the very least, I'm looking at the registry as a checklist of the things I want.  If people want to get us the more expensive items, great.  If not, I at least have a list of what I want and can use the completion discount to get them.  I also agree with PP about not registering for clothes and blankets.  People are going to buy them regardless of what you want.  :)  Plus, shopping for clothes from a registry is really difficult just because different stores have different selections.
  • imagedrewbon13:

Ok, I'm new to this shower business. I had a bridal shower but it was more of a get together of family and friends. My MIL and DH's family are trying to throw me a baby shower and they are really pushing me to register at a few stores (Target, Walmart, etc) because we live 6 hours away and they want gift ideas.

My problem is I've never registered before, and I'm not sure what all to put on it. I know clothes and blankets, stuff like that, diapers and things that aren't too expensive. I'm just curious what all everyone else has put on there? And how expensive of things do you put on there? I mean, does it seem rude to put something on the registry that is like $150 bucks? That seems like a bit much, but again, I have no experience with it!

What do you ladies think??

I had this same problem about three weeks ago.  I sent out an email to all my friends who had kids already and asked them to rec items.  I even asked for links.  Then one friend of mine offered to meet me at BRU and do the registry with me.  Sooooo helpful.  I was really adamant that I just wanted to essentials and not a whole bunch of crap.  I think it worked out really well.  Then I went to amazon.com and put the same stuff on my amazon registry.  Nothing has been bought off my BRU registry yet, but several items have been bought off my amazon registry because most of my friends are out of town and can't make it to my shower next week.  As I get the email alerts from amazon that something has been bought, I delete it off my BRU registry.

My point is, if you can find a friend to take you to a store or two and help guide you, it could be really helpful.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm not sure if BRU does this, but BuyBuyBaby does - if you show up in store to set up your registry, they give you a check-list of commonly registered items. If you call in advance...they'll have one of their registry associatesdo a "personal shop" with you. They'll walk you through the store, explain the pros and cons of different items and answer any questions you may have. My DH and I found this very helpful as we knew nothing about car seats. We found a stroller that I reallyreallyREALLY want and a carseat that fits perfectly in it...but we wouldn't have without the personal shopper.

I agree with the PPs, though. If you think you'll need it, reigster for it. I've always been a "save your pennies!" person and felt really bad about adding the high-end items. However, I recognize what I might look at as high-end someone else might see as a "necessity" - thus we get it off the registry.

We didn't register for clothes. That being said, I have a feeling we'll get lots. Not to mention, there are three other boys in the family from 1 year to 4...and we're getting a LOT of hand-me-downs. We have four boxes of said clothes already in the nursery waiting for the dresser to show up. :)

Registries are great though. I have a lot of out of town friends that have asked where I'm registered at so they can get baby something. Don't cut corners, either. A lot of stores will offer Registry Completion coupons after your due date or the birth of your child {which ever happens first!}. What ever you don't get off the registry...you can get for a discounted price.

Good luck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would check out buybuybaby.com and under the registry tab they have a checklist. This is my first pregnancy, but I met my husband when "our" daughter was 3 months, and our son 2 years old. I adopted them, and didn't have a lot to work with in terms of baby stuff. My #1 advice is don't waste money on a changing table. After the newness wears off, it's a waste of furniture. A dresser top works just as well.

As far as expensive items, put what makes you feel comfortable. My highest priced item is still under $100, because I don't feel comfortable asking for more than that. Our plan is to put the high priced items we really want on layaway @ Toysrus, and pay it off over 3 months. That may not work for everyone, but it's what I feel comfortable with.

Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"