Natural Birth

Natural Induction help!!!

I am currently 41 weeks and 2 days. I went in the other night for induction and after 12 hours on cervadril to soften my cervix I had gone from 1 cm and 30 % effaced and he said my cervix was hard to 2 cm and 50 % effaced and my cervix was soft. The Dr knew that I really wanted a natural birth and since I had some progression and the baby wasn't in distress he let me go home. We have a NST on Thursday and if she is showing any stress then he will break my water and start pitocin but if not he will let us wait till the 31st. My question is does anyone know anything that will help me at this point? I have tried all natural labor induction like walking, red raspberry tea, etc. The only thing I haven't tried is castor oil because I have heard it can go either way and at this point if she does have meconim staining it could be because she is overdue. I am really trying to not end in a c-section because I don't want any drugs with this birth but I feel like I have exhausted all options.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Natural Induction help!!!

• imageamandalup:
    I am currently 41 weeks and 2 days. I went in the other night for induction and after 12 hours on cervadril to soften my cervix I had gone from 1 cm and 30 % effaced and he said my cervix was hard to 2 cm and 50 % effaced and my cervix was soft. The Dr knew that I really wanted a natural birth and since I had some progression and the baby wasn't in distress he let me go home. We have a NST on Thursday and if she is showing any stress then he will break my water and start pitocin but if not he will let us wait till the 31st. My question is does anyone know anything that will help me at this point? I have tried all natural labor induction like walking, red raspberry tea, etc. The only thing I haven't tried is castor oil because I have heard it can go either way and at this point if she does have meconim staining it could be because she is overdue. I am really trying to not end in a c-section because I don't want any drugs with this birth but I feel like I have exhausted all options.

have you tried acupuncture or a good massage? There are pressure points near the ankle, I think, that may help bring on labor. GL!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with pp about acupuncture.  I tried this and I think at the very least it helped to get my body ready, and may have put me over the edge to get labor going.  You might check with your insurance company to see if they cover it, my covered 90%.   
  • Do you have a breast pump?  Nipple stimulation can help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^ great suggestions already posted. 

Also, baby might not be in an ideal position for labor. Maybe you should consider seeing a chiropractor and also doing lots of squats, pelvic rocks and taylor sitting.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• imageKristinmo:
    Do you have a breast pump?  Nipple stimulation can help.

This definitely worked for me! At 41 weeks & 5 days, I pumped for 10 minutes on the right side, then 10 minutes on the left side, took a 5-minute break, and then pumped 5 minutes on the right side again - and in less that 5 more minutes, my water broke! DD was born 5 1/2 hours later. (I was fully dilated and ready to push 4 hours after my water broke.) Pumping - or any other method for that matter - won't work unless your body is ready, but it DEFINITELY worked for me! Thankfully, we were able to have the birth experience that we had planned for! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pumping also worked for me at 41w (though not a few days before).  I double pumped for about 10min when contractions started, I had DS 12.5 hrs later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried everything except castor oil- walking, EPO, RRL tea, stairs, bouncing on my yoga ball, etc.. I was as dilated as you are at my first check (39w/6d) and was scheduled for an induction the next day per office policy bc of my medication. My MW wanted to help me avoid this so she "massaged" my membranes at that appointment (she was very careful since I was GBS+ and she didn't want to break my water). I'd been having some contractions all morning but I really think this pushed me into labor; I went into labor on the drive home & had DD about 12 hours later.

I know it's different for everyone, but in my case I think what really helped get me ready was the EPO (taken orally & vaginally), lots of sex, and having my membranes stripped/massaged.

FWIW, as I left that appointment my MW was very confident that since I was already a bit dilated & effaced that we'd only need a little bit of pitocin in the morning to jump-start labor & that I'd still get to go naturally beyond that. It's nice to know that by the end of the month you'll have your little one! Good luck mama!!

Married since 09.06.08
    2012 Book Challenge: 20 of 50
    Sophia Leigh has arrived! 02.09.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"