D.C. Area Babies
Options

Question if your child is exposed to other languages

DD goes to a daycare where the DCP speaks Burmese as a first language. The DCP only speaks in English to the kids but her son helps out there as well as another woman who also speaks Burmese. So DD is exposed to the language while at DC because the DCP's use it sometimes when they speak to each other. Also, DD plays alot with another little girl who primarily speaks Japanese. The DCP said that the Japanese girl doesn't speak hardly any English but that my daughter and her play together and that my daughter seems to understand her.

DD has had very good language skills to date and speaks in full sentences. However, for the past 2-3 weeks, she's been speaking in this gobbly-gook manner where it's almost as if she's trying to speak another language (or maybe she is). She also sings songs with the correct tune but for the words, it's like she's just making random mumble jumble words.

I'm not that concerned about this because I know it's good for children to be exposed to other languages and I'm sure she'll grow out of it but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The most frustrating part is that sometimes she speaks to me in this mumble jumble and I have no idea what she is saying.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Question if your child is exposed to other languages

• Options

She probably is speaking the other language...  This happened to one of the other families at our day care....  They were throwing in words here and there, and the parents were like "Ummm... what is XX word?" Or, 'What is he asking for when he asks for XX?"

I haven't noticed it with DD, but I won't be surprised if it does. 

Or....She could also just be speaking mumble jumble.  Sometimes kids do that (at least our DD did)...  especially when their vocab hasn't caught up with their desire to verbalize things.  She would babble with inflection - like she was talking in sentences.  

• Options

my kids are bilingual, they can understand 100% of both Eng and Russian but DD mostly speaks Eng. DS is not speaking much yet but comprehends everything. DD is very verbal and makes up her own words often, has been doing it for a long time. She named her doll Marculian when she was about 18mo old!

So while she may be speaking another language (ask her to say it in Eng., my DD would often translate to herself or others), she may also just be making up words.

Either way, it's all good!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD mostly hears English now that she is in preschool but she loves making up mumble jumble sounds. Especially when she is singing. She's very verbal, I honestly thought it was a stage all kids go through.
  • Options

Another thought too is her vocab is increasing and so she may not speak all words quite as clearly as she used to.  We had that happen with Maggie where she was so clear when she was younger and then she went through a stage where it was much more difficult to understand her but she also had so many more words/sentences etc.

I also agree with HeyJellisy about all kids making up nonsense or their words to song melodies - I was actually impressed when Maggie did it since it seemed like a big mental leap to put her own words etc to some other melody.

My DCP speaks Icelandic(not sure if that is the correct language name or not) and her husband has a pretty heavy Irish accent but the kids come home with words that I can mostly figure out.  Also she may hear them speak and it may sound like gibberish to her so she is play acting at talking like them (if you don;t recognize it as specific foreign words)/

• Options

DD has picked up on a lot of Farsi from our DCP and her family (and we have encouraged it). We have moments when she will be asking for something in Farsi and we have no idea what she is saying. She looks at us like we are the dumbest people she has ever metBig Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a lot of babble, too, which I think is unrelated to hearing other languages. But like Victoria I get a kick out of when DS thinks we're not understanding him in English, so now he switches to Spanish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. It sounds like it's pretty normal. I think part of it is just her being silly and experimenting with different sounds. Like she's sing twinkle twinkle with a bunch of mumble jumble but it doesn't really sound like she's singing real words in another language. Anyway, I won't worry about it too much.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Normal. I've noticed this with DD recently and I think part of the reason is also her experimentation with new and "bigger" words. It's almost like she's mumbling to try them before saying them loud and proud!

We are trying to raise DD bilingual and like Sofka, she understands everything but clearly prefers to answer in English. She actually goes through phases where she will fight hearing French ("No papa, talk the other way!"). Yeah, that was awkward when we visited his family in France this summer.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"