Special Needs

Anyone tried a visual schedule app on iphone/ipad? And social stories question.

I think we need to use a visual schedule. It's sort of at odds with the flexible, loose parenting style I wanted to have as a SAHM, but it's clear that he is not thriving under these circumstances. His rigidity and difficulty transitioning are getting worse. And to be honest, without a structure in place, I find that he ends up running the show and we might get stuck playing trains in the dark basement instead of out in the fresh air on a beautiful day. Plus, I'd like to work in his home therapies into this schedule -- swinging, brushing, etc., because we don't really know when or how to do them.

So...I'm ready to take this task on. Any tips are welcome, from those who use conventional visual schedules as well as those who have tried smartphone apps.

I'd also like to learn more about how to create social stories. Any websites you like to explain the concept to me a little better? Or care to explain yourself what elements make a good, useful social story? I think I get the basics, but I'd love to see examples.

Thank you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone tried a visual schedule app on iphone/ipad? And social stories question.

• What works for us is a visual schedule on the wall which in in AJ's line of sight.  I basically took a yard stick and covered it with velcro and attached it to my wall.  I took pictures of all of his therapists, meals, crib (to indicate naptime), car, etc.  Each night I line up the pictures in order for the next day (breakfast, OT, ABA, nap, lunch, ABA, speech, etc).  As each activity is completed I have AJ help me take off the laminated card and put it in the drawer.  This has helped him tremendously.  He now knows that he has finished and what is coming next.

He also has an iPad but to him it is more of a game than anything else....

• Not  parent of a child with ASD, but a behaviorist for 8+ years :)

Social stories- Carol Gray (as noted above) is amazing... the site does charge for many items, so be aware of that. I recommend to alot of parents to check out https://www.polyxo.com/socialstories/ good info about how to write them, as well as some stories on general topics you can use. And always remember to adjust them per your child's age, developmental level, and language and attention ability!

Schedules- Personally, I love using SCERTS style schedules. Tape a long (hot dog style) green paper strip next to a long red paper strip. Laminate if you can- or put in a plastic page protector sleeve and tape shut. Attach velcro pieces going down the page vertically, in the center of the green strip and the center of the red strip.Use photos, clip art, icons, whatever you have available (just choose one media type though) with velcro on them. Set up the schedule on the green strip ("To Do")- as your child completes each task, have them move the icon to the red ("All done") side. This helps visually clarify the difference between to do (green=go) and all done (red=stop).

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"