Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Peditrician DIDN'T wear gloves...

So we moved to Denton and of course switched Dr's. Took my baby to the new Dr. for another round of immunizations, etc... and when he went to check out her privates, he first didn't tell me he was going to do it before he did it, and secondly he was NOT wearing gloves when he checked out her privates, nor did he wash his hands when he cames into the room with us.

My previous Dr. just opened the diaper and looked and this doctor spreads it all out with his hand and then looks.

He didn't linger or anything, and I'm not suggesting anything inappropriate took place, but this is so odd to me and it made me feel uncomfortable. I'm not one of the people who is ashamed or embarassed about sexual body parts, so its nothing like that either.

I'm assuming he washed his hands before he came into the room, but idk for sure.

Am I out of line to ask him to wear gloves next time?

Has anyone else had a Dr. that doesn't wear gloves when checking out kid's privates?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Peditrician DIDN'T wear gloves...

• DS's pedi has never worn gloves. I've always seen her wash her hands though.
  • Mine never touches on regular exams.  Just opens the diaper and looks.  Once we went in because DD complained about her girly bits and I don't recall gloves or weather he touched or not...so I must have not have been put off because I just don't remember.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My pedi doesn't wear gloves, but I believe she does wash her hands both before and after examining my daughter. However, I trust my pedi 100% and even if I didn't see her wash her hands, I don't think it'd bother me. With a brand new doc, I can see where it would be bothersome.
  • My son's doctor didn't wear gloves but he did wash his hands before he touched his little boy balls.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Like PP, our pedi doesn't wear gloves, but always washes his hands as soon as he walks into the room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pedi doesn't wear gloves but he does wash his hands before and after the exam. 
  • My pedi has never worn gloves for exams, but he ALWAYS washes his hands in front of me before he even begins.  He would always open the diaper and feel for hernias.  At DS's 2 year checkup he checked to make sure his testicles had completely descended, that was it, it was like 2 seconds. 

If your uncomfortable, I'd ask him to wear gloves or wash his hand at the very least.  I'd have a problem with not washing his hands.  Even if he did it before, it's till nice to actually see them do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pedi doesn't wear gloves but she washes her hands first thing when she comes in the room to see you so that you know it's done.  She usually opens the diaper, feels his testicles to make sure those are normal, and looks at/manipulates his penis so see what the foreskin is doing (his is already fully retractile) and check for any signs of infection.  Then she takes a quick look at his bum and covers him back up. 

image image
  • imageQue_Syrah:
    DS's pedi has never worn gloves. I've always seen her wash her hands though.

This. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• My pedi doesn't wear gloves either.  He did touch though until this last appt (2 years).  I aways saw him wash his hands though before and afterwards.
  • The last time we went in our pedi also spread DDs vulva to look at her vagina.  He wasn't wearing gloves but he washed his hands in the room with us when he first came in.  In fact, I think they all usually wash their hands when they come in with us no matter what they 'may' do while they are seeing us.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• If you don't feel confident that the pedi washed his hands before he entered the room, you might talk to the office manager about it. That way, you can avoid confrontation with the doctor if that makes you uncomfortable, and you can get an idea of what that office's hand hygiene policy is.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• imagebeachgurlie80:
    Our pedi doesn't wear gloves but he does wash his hands before and after the exam. 

This.

And, as far as spreading it all out and looking, they are checking to be sure the labia are not stuck together. Yes, they can fuse together leaving little to no opening and cause an issue for DD. It's uncommon, but our Pedi checks too.

• DD's pedi has never worn gloves!! I've always seen him wash his hands as soon as he enters the room
    DD-2/7/10
    BFP-4/8/14

• imageD.Smith:
    DD's pedi has never worn gloves!! I've always seen him wash his hands as soon as he enters the room

This.  And like some of the others said, he was probably checking for labial adhesions.  DD#1 had that and it was no big deal, but it can be painful for potty training if you don't take care of it. 

• Our pediatrician doesn't wear gloves either, but he washes before and after. I do agree w/ PP though - I see a lot of offices/hospitals that have the purell dispenser right outside the door or in the hallway. I would just ask the administrator. As far as "touching" that's a normal exam.
  • Our pediatrician does not wear gloves for most regular exams.  And he always examines the genitalia, with palpation and touch.  Wearing gloves protects the examiners - not the patient.  Unless the gloves are sterile then it's to prevent the passing of germs from examiner to patient.  However, he always washes his hands before and after exams.  There are signs all over saying please was your hands before for touching mine...or something like that.
    Sawyer Quinn (09/06/06), Rory Keaton (04/07/08) and Kinsley Saffron (10/12/10). Forever and ever my babies they'll be. A rose can say "I love you",orchids can enthrall,but a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,yes, that says it all.~Author Unknown
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • A lot of kids have allergies to some of the gloves so maybe that is why he didn't. I don't think mine wears them either. Generally during routine exams he simply opens her diaper. Once when she was sick and had bad rash he was a little more thorough. I have not seen him wash his hands he does always hit up the hand sanitizer when he walks in. Also I trust that he is washing his hands
  • imageQue_Syrah:

This...but he uses hand sanitizer in the room before he touches DS anywhere. 

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• imageQue_Syrah:

This! 

• They have always checked inside for DD.  She washes her hands in the room and uses an antibacterial rub on her hands. 
  • i actually left my first pediatrician because i didn't like her private practice. she was the pedi assigned by the hospital for the first checkup and we kept her because her office was convenient. but she would not leave ds's junk alone. she tried to pull back the foreskin at the 4 month appt and that was it for me (she had other issues too, but that was probably the one that bothered me the most).

neither she nor our current pedi wear gloves, but they always washed their hands upon entering the room. if it makes you uncomfortable, there's no harm in asking what their policy is in the office. maybe you can speak to the office manager rather than the dr?

• imageQue_Syrah:

This. Only Dr is a he. He always washes coming in and going out.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebstrangely:

but she would not leave ds's junk alone. she tried to pull back the foreskin at the 4 month appt and that was it for me (she had other issues too, but that was probably the one that bothered me the most).

That's part of the exam they do for well child. They have to make sure the circ is doing okay, and if there wasn't a circ, they have to make sure that there isn't signs of infection and that the foreskin retracts okay. They also have to check to make sure the testicles descended and stay that way. DS's pedi still does this check, and I expect him to. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageWhatDidIDoWrong:
    My son's doctor didn't wear gloves but he did wash his hands before he touched his little boy balls.

This.

• Our pedi has never worn gloves, but washing his hands before and after checking the boys out.
    image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • The spreading apart doesn't bother me, I understand that needs to take place, but what did bothered me about his doing this wasn't the action but the fact he wasn't wearing gloves and that I did not see him wash his hands in the room. I will definitely say something at my next appointment, but if he doesn't wash his hands as soon as he comes into the room, before he touches her I'll tell him to wear gloves or wash his hands. Thanks for the info!

imageMrsMommyQ:

imagebeachgurlie80:
    Our pedi doesn't wear gloves but he does wash his hands before and after the exam. 

This.

And, as far as spreading it all out and looking, they are checking to be sure the labia are not stuck together. Yes, they can fuse together leaving little to no opening and cause an issue for DD. It's uncommon, but our Pedi checks too.

• imageQue_Syrah:

This. But she doesn't really touch either, just takes a look.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"