Special Needs
Options

3 hr long MRI w/ sedation - experiences?

Olivia has to have an MRI of her head (w/contrast) and cervical thoracic lumbar & sacral spine. This is to follow up on a lesion that was found on a bone scan and seen again on an MRI. They originally were looking for metastatic disease (cancer) but after a bone & marrow biopsy (abnormal but most likely not cancer) the Dr wants to scan her again to see if there are more lesions. <p><p>She has had a lot of tests with sedation and general anestesia, but this will be the longest she will be out and Im freaking out a bit. The good thing is her team @ CHOP is great with getting the results to us within 24 hrs. I just hate the constant testing & results & more testing. <p><p> anyone else have a long test? What did you do during the wait? I'm driving myself crazy with this & it's still 2 days away :(

Re: 3 hr long MRI w/ sedation - experiences?

• Options

Bit my nails like crazy, drank a lot of coffee, and didn't read the book I brought with me, even though I had it open. Now when he has MRI's, procedures or surgeries where we can't be present, I just do laps around our hospital. They page me if they need me. The first time L had a surgery longer than 3 hours I flipped - ended up calling SIL and made her talk to me so I'd not think about the what ifs.

I still drive myself nuts like that!!

• Options
    DS's MRI was two hours. DF and I went and got (and tried to eat) lunch, we went for a walk around the very large hospital, and I sat there very impatiently while DF played Angry Birds for the last half hour...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

While we have never had to do an MRI, DD has had 2 surgeries now. The first was 4 hours long when she was a month old. It was awful. All the other parents kept getting called back to see their children, and we were still there waiting. We walked around the hospital. We tried to watch a movie on the laptop (but just ended up watching the clock instead). 

I guess the best thing I could do was try to find things to keep myself busy so that I didn't sit there and think about it too much.

• Options

You could bring your laptop or use wifi from your smart phone.  If someone is going with you, I suggest eating..and eating slowly.  They should give you a pager so that no matter where you are in the hospital if they need you, you can come.

P has had full spinal and brain at once, and it was pretty long.  Also they might be giving you the time for prep/recovery also not just scanning, alone.

I do know that the longer P is under the more..upset (for lack of a better word) she is when she comes out of it.  Every time gets worse than the last, she wakes up almost rougher, i'd say.

GL.  We have had sedation/general well over 10 times for different things. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"