Postpartum Depression
Options

Mirena IUD - Please read!

I suffered from minor anxiety in the first few months my son was born. When he was about 10 weeks, I had the Mirena IUD put in. My anxiety and depression slowly grew worse in worse over time, two months later it was unmanageable. Terrible insomnia too. My mother-in-law took time off work to stay and help me because I was struggling so bad. I tried various medications that didn't so much and I had to wean because of this. Finally, I saw another OB/GYN for a second opinion. The first thing he said to me was "You need to get that IUD out". Huh? What? So I did, and 3-4 days later I started to feel better. It's been about 4 days and I'm starting to feel confident I've finally turned a corner here. I saw on Mirena's website, depression and anxiety can occur in 5-10% of people. I think our systems our particularly sensitive post-partum so introducing synthetic hormones can have devastating effects (in my case anyway).

Anyway... if you've been struggling with PPA/PPD and you're using hormonal birth control, you may want to think about that and talk to your doctor.

Re: Mirena IUD - Please read!

• Options
    Thanks for posting! i was thinking about mirena but that worries me. Synthetic horomones worry me, period.
  • Options

Thank you SO much for posting this. I was really starting to think I was going crazy. But I have not been myself since getting mirena 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmm I have Mirena and have felt a lil crazy....I will def talk about this with my OB at my next appt.  Thanks for posting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    i got the mirena put in about 8 weeks pp and i guess all this time i have just attributed this emotional rollercoaster to depression and life adjustments and everything else. my OBGYN, whom i had spoken to while i was pregnat about my concerns that iw ould have PPD, actually told me that the actual dose of horemones you get from the mirena is so small that it really shouldn't have an effect on moods. i had a feeling that was crap.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"