January 2011 Moms

Babies and steps, WDYT?

W has been high tailing it over to the stairs lately. We live in a tri-level, so its 4 steps up to the main floor. She finally figured out how to put her leg up to get to the second step. Yesterday, with me behind her- she went up 3 steps all by herself.

H says we should not encourage this, and to tell her no.  She does understand "No" (I think) at this point. When she plays with the PS3 or the DVD player, etc..I say no, and she will stop short, stare at me, then scurry off another direction.

H says its too dangerous and too soon to encourage her. I really didnt look at it that way, I looked at it like she is exploring, and she is never alone in the room with steps.

Thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Babies and steps, WDYT?

• I would not discourage her from developing. I think it's fine as long as you're right there with her. Of course I'd make extra sure that area was babyproofed and/or that she was never left alone with access, but otherwise I don't see a problem with it. If it isn't the stairs, it'll be the couch or some other piece of furniture. DD's been trying to climb up her walker, so now she's not allowed to play with it without us around.
  • imageSweetHurricane:
    I would not discourage her from developing. I think it's fine as long as you're right there with her. Of course I'd make extra sure that area was babyproofed and/or that she was never left alone with access, but otherwise I don't see a problem with it. If it isn't the stairs, it'll be the couch or some other piece of furniture. DD's been trying to climb up her walker, so now she's not allowed to play with it without us around.

This exactly!  As long as she's not alone around the steps then I don't see a problem.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think she SHOULD be on the steps. She needs to learn to navigate the steps at some point. When she's really moving and you are with her, you probably won't have her crawl/walk to the stairs, then pick her up, and then put her back down again. Obviously don't leave her alone near the steps, but let her explore and learn how to go up and down.

FWIW, we don't have steps so I've been putting DD by the steps when we visit friends/family because I think it would be weird if she didn't know how to go up and down.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Yeah, so I have a boat load of steps and JT isn't allowed anywhere near them. I think I need to start letting him explore some!

My aunt told me it was so helpful when her MIL immediately taught her 3 girls as soon as possible how to scoot up and down the stairs (down first, sitting on their butts and going from stair to stair). She told me since the stairs will always be there they need to know how to navigate. 

• imageSweetHurricane:
    I would not discourage her from developing. I think it's fine as long as you're right there with her. Of course I'd make extra sure that area was babyproofed and/or that she was never left alone with access, but otherwise I don't see a problem with it. If it isn't the stairs, it'll be the couch or some other piece of furniture. DD's been trying to climb up her walker, so now she's not allowed to play with it without us around.

THIS!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"