Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Most expensive baby proofing ever?

We had someone come by and look for things that we need to baby proof in our house.  They charge for the initial walk-around, and then they send you a quote about installing the necessary items.  The walk around was helpful.  He caught some things that I hadn't noticed, and told us about a few items that I didn't know about.  However, the quote... omg.  Let me preface this by saying that we live in your average 4 bedroom, 2 bath house, not a mansion, or even a large house.  The quote was $1600.00.  I laughed when I saw it b/c it was so much.

So, I emailed him back and asked him to send a quote for the most important items in the downstairs.  The next quote was $779.00.  Please tell me you all didn't pay this much when you baby proofed your house.  I think this price is insane.  I don't even think I am going to email him back, and I think I'll order the items he mentioned off of amazon.com and install them with my husband.  Any thoughts on baby proofing?  About how much did it cost you to purchase and install everything like gates, cabinet locks, etc.?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Most expensive baby proofing ever?

• WOW! I baby proofed recently even though i didn't have to yet (had some extra cash) It cost about 230$ that's 2 stair gates, fireplace gate, locks on cabinets, door handle thingys? (those arnt on yet) plug covers and window locks.. Im not sure how many hazards you have or need to be baby proofed? But that is crazy. I might need a bit more i have to google. Go out and buy everything yourself - sales, craigslist etc. The only thing that is going to cost alot more is i need a new wall unit with cabinet doors, or DD will probably be at our electronics.

Edit: I forgot to buy corner covers

• Thats nuts! I probably spent 300, including permanent stair gates, and then the basic socket plugs, cabinet locks, etcc. You can definitley do it yourself. I wouldnt bother to email him back.

• Loading the player...
  • imagedaisy889:
    WOW! I baby proofed recently even though i didn't have to yet (had some extra cash) It cost about 230$ that's 2 stair gates, fireplace gate, locks on cabinets, door handle thingys? (those arnt on yet) and window locks.. Im not sure how many hazards you have or need to be baby proofed? But that is crazy. Go out and buy everything yourself - sales, craigslist etc. The only thing that is going to cost alot more is i need a new wall unit with cabinet doors, or DD will probably be at our electronics.

Thank you.  I am new to this baby stuff, and the quote had me concerned.  We have nothing special- pretty much everything you named.  The fireplace gate is really important, and I need a gate to block off the stairs.  It was kinda dumb of the guy.  I offered to give his fliers to the moms group I'm a part of, but I would never recommend him after those quotes.  My friends would think I'm nuts!

The only thing that is going to cost alot more is i need a new wall unit with cabinet doors, or DD will probably be at our electronics.

Idk if you've seen it but BRU has a Safety First power strip cover to put around your surge protectors.  They cost around $8.  That might help with your electronics until you get your cabinet.

• Thanks ill look into that, Im sure i dont have everything but that's what google and me crawling around on the floor is for! hah

Also the gates are the most expensive either babies r us, or check craiglist i always see nice stuff on there im sure many are in good shape. I got the fireplace gate off there, and the stair gates from babies r us.

• It hadn't even crossed my mind that there are professional companies that do this!  I just had a mommy friend come over with her 1yr old and we found out very quickly what needed baby-proofing.  Some things we're buying (gates, cabinet locks, etc) and for other things, we're getting creative.

The thing i'm worried most about is dog fur, dog food, dog toys, etc. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People actually pay professionals to baby proof their houses? Wow.

So far all I've bought is outlet covers. I don't feel a need to buy cabinet locks as there are no breakable things in our low cabinets and nothing that could harm DS. Out low cabinets are full of tupperware and baking pans, which I don't mind him getting into. We have a fireplace but I don't anticipate ever using it as it's nearly November and still 90 degrees everyday, plus the fireplace is set up and back away from the floor so that DS can't reach it anyway.

My UO for the day? I think people go way overboard on baby proofing.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLynsiBHM:

It hadn't even crossed my mind that there are professional companies that do this!  I just had a mommy friend come over with her 1yr old and we found out very quickly what needed baby-proofing.  Some things we're buying (gates, cabinet locks, etc) and for other things, we're getting creative.

The thing i'm worried most about is dog fur, dog food, dog toys, etc. 

I know!  The dog toys and the baby toys are pretty similar.  What do people do about that?  I think I will just keep one or two dog toys on the floor at a time.  Then the dogs won't get bored of their toys b/c I can switch them out.  I was also thinking of gating them in the basement in the winter so they have room to run around and play without dealing with DD.  Our basement is finished, but our family hasn't spread into the basement yet, so there is lots of empty space.

• imagemeltoine:

People actually pay professionals to baby proof their houses? Wow.

This.  Also I have not even though about baby proofing and I'm not really sure what we are doing besides gates for the stairs.

• image*BlackSheep*:
    imagemeltoine:

This.  Also I have not even though about baby proofing and I'm not really sure what we are doing besides gates for the stairs.

Agreed.  She's already bumped her head on some corners, though, and she's always trying to mess with the fireplace.  He had some good ideas about where to put the gates, and some good info.  For instance, I didn't know that tension gates shouldn't be used at the top of the stairs, and I didn't know what cabinet locks to use.  So, the walk through was helpful.  The quote not so much...

• By doing it yourself, you're going to have a lot of money left over for a nice new cabinet! All these things are easy to install yourself. I think one of the most important parts of babyproofing is knowing what is dangerous and being careful of where you put things day to day - cleaning supplies, batteries, pins, choking hazards, etc. Oh, and actually remembering to keep those doors and gates and windows closed!
  • imagemeltoine:

So far all I've bought is outlet covers.

Ditto. I've spent $4.49 so far.

Thankfully, the last family that lived in our house left a lot of their babyproofing things, like the oven lock, a bunch of cabinet stoppers, plexiglass over the glass doors. Sweet. I do need to get some corner protectors.

Re: Dog stuff...this is also our biggest issue. I'm combating fur by vacuuming more often and I got a swiffer for the hardwoods. A little fur never hurt anyone. The dog toys will have to be put away, unfortunately. And the food? No clue. We're going to start picking up our dog's bowl when she's done eating, but water is more difficult. I left her water bowl out during a playdate last week and some of the 1-year-old kiddos had a lot of fun. Whoops.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I will gladly rent out my 2 year old for $100 for an hour. She will find any and every thing that needs to be child proofed in that time. Guaranteed. We don't pay for broken things though, so you have to be quick behind her. ;-)

We spent maybe 200 or so on the various things we've bought.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Dh made a frame and covered it with window screening, we attached it to the electronics counter with a hinge and put a clip on one side. Voila no new cabinet needed and the remote still works. Yes it looks kind of crappy if you look too closely but??
  • imagemeltoine:

So far all I've bought is outlet covers. I don't feel a need to buy cabinet locks as there are no breakable things in our low cabinets and nothing that could harm DS. Out low cabinets are full of tupperware and baking pans, which I don't mind him getting into. We have a fireplace but I don't anticipate ever using it as it's nearly November and still 90 degrees everyday, plus the fireplace is set up and back away from the floor so that DS can't reach it anyway.

I agree w/ you Meltoine.

We got a safety 1st kit at Target, that included outlet covers, cabinet/drawer latches and door knob covers. We also bought a gate to keep him out of the kitchen and utility room.

Other than that I got down on my hands and knees, looking for things that he could get into at that level that I don't want him messing with. Those things found new homes.

We are also thinking about a new media center to keep him away from our electronics. Ours all seem to have lights that stay on even when their off...and he can't resist lights...lol.

• image*BlackSheep*:
    imagemeltoine:

THIS! Let me tell you from experience you DON"T need to baby proof every inch of your home. We over-bought on a lot of stuff and still under $200.

What I really suggest:

Baby gates for bottom and top of stairs,

cabinet locks on dangerous stuff (we have one under the kitchen sink even though we keep all chemicals up high in the garage)

outlet covers

toilet paper roll guard (not really unsafe but your LO will LOVE to unroll every toilet paper roll and even if you keep the bathroom locked that one time they make it in there the entire roll will be gone)

We have tile at the bottom of the stairs then  another step set away (down to the living room) so we have the gate at the end of that step---base of the living room. I bought a foam cushiony mat for the bottom the main stairway so if something happens they don't fall onto the hard tile. No one has fallen but just incase... I am sure a "professional" would have put 2 gates...one at the base of the stairs and the one step at the base of the living room.  

Door knob covers-for toddlers

knob covers for oven/stove -mostly for toddler age

Dog gets fed when everyone goes to sleep and his food gets put away in the garage morning. When we lived in a condo we had a baby gate to the kitchen and his food stayed there.  Water is an issue but my dog tends to tell me if he is thirsty or I try to leave it out and hidden as much as possible (in the corner near the garage door) but when little hands make it over there it has to be taken away. As for the toys I keep them put away until they are asleep. The dog isn't really interested in playing with me when they are awake since he sees I have my hands full. 

-----other than that most everything else was a waste. She pulled back or chewed on the fireplace rubber guards and they fell apart fast. It was easier to teach her not to go onto the fireplace than have those things to draw her in to chew on.  I place breakable items in cabinets high up above the counter. The drawers in the kitchen within their reach tend to be dish towels, tupperware, and snacks they can get into.

I have a few friends who spent that much on baby proofing and honestly they all admit it was a waste.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"