Special Needs
Options

Please help me understand,...Seizure

Background: I have 3yr old identical twin boys dx with PDD-nos

One of the boys, "C", is being monitored for seizures. It all started back in December with blue lips and staring spells. He had an EEG, which came back abnormal. We kept track of the spells and the neuro requested an MRI and a 24hr EEG. Both came back normal. It was decided to just "keep an eye" on him and just call if I saw an increase.

This past Wednesday night he was acting very weird, very fuzzy and crying a lot. They are both pretty lay back so this was a little concerning. He couldn't fall asleep and was up until midnight. Friday at 4am, he woke up again very aggravated and couldn't fall back to sleep, he finally did after an hr or so. That morning, he woke up later than usual, walked over to his table (his food was already there) was eating when he started to whine and walked over to my DH and hugged him while crying. DH called me over and was passing him over to me when "C" passed out for a few seconds. It took him about 10min to get back on his feet and be "normal" again.

His pedi requested to take him to the ER where they checked his vital, everything checked fine. His neuro requested another 24hr EEG which is scheduled two weeks from now.

Now I'm freaking out. I can't take my eyes off of him. This morning he woke up around 4:30am, again crying with his eyes closed and making this smacking thing with him mouth. He could not calm down, and then out of the blue he fell asleep and slept for the rest of the night.

Is this normal? could it be a seizure? could he be having different types of seizure and they are manifesting differently every time?

Of course our neurologist is out for 5 wks.

Thanks!  

Re: Please help me understand,...Seizure

• Options
    It sounds like it could be seizures.  Videotape them if you can, it would help the neuro.  My DS has an episode every 6 months with the longest stretch being 2 years seizure free.  His are really obvious, but anytime he's acting slightly strange or slow to respond I'm worried.  I hope you get answers soon.  DS didn't have anything on EEG until we did a 24 hour one.  They just so happened to catch one in the very beginning of the 24 hours.  He goes so long inbetween, we were lucky to catch it.
  • Options
    I really dont know anything about seizures, but I have twin boys were just diagnosed last week with pdd-nos. I would love to chat with you via email if you would like to send me your address :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I definitely agree with trying to get a video if possible. Some of my DDs seizures have been very subtle. I often wonder if I am seeing a seizure or if she is just being a toddler. I always say trust your instincts. I feel like deep down I have always known when something isn't right but I certainly understand the second guessing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like it could be seizures to me as well.  Sometimes seizures do not manifest themselves in any way that we can see, but instead the child feels something.  The emotional response to it is what we observe, and can be indicative of just before of just after a seizure.  My son has seizures like what you described during the night as well.
    imageimageimageimageimage 9/07 m/c baby boy @ 18wks, 4/09 m/c @ 4.5wks
  • Options
    I have seizures and I think that's what is happening. There re so many different types of seizures, from slight unnoticeable twitches when you're falling asleep to full body grand mals (Big and Bad). The human brain is amazingly complex. Try to think of your sons brain like a computer, when one of the episodes starts (he can obviously sense when it's about to happen and that is a rare/good thing) think of it as rebooting a glitch. In the meantime: record everything that happens with him, time everything and ask your Dr. lots of questions. Nothing is to basic to ask!

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"