November 2011 Moms

Who knew "flu-like" symptoms were a part of early labor?!

Okay, I'm not new to the whole childbirth thing.  However, I can't believe what I went through over the weekend.  I stayed home from work on Friday because I had a backache and pelvic cramps that got worse when I moved around.  In the afternoon I felt well enough to move from the bed to the couch.  By early evening I was feeling right as rain.  When I went to bed I started feeling that achy feeling you get when you know you are about to get sick.  I can go years without having a cold/flu, and when I get it, it usually lasts a few days.  I woke up Saturday morning after a long night of tossing and turning with fever, chills, coughing, body aches, and a runny nose.  I felt horrible!  All Saturday I felt completely pathetic and taking Tylenol did nothing to alleviate the pain in my body.  By Saturday night I started feeling better.  I woke up on Sunday and felt wonderful!  WTH?!!  There was not a trace of sickness left.  I googled "early labor" and that was one of the symptoms and apparently it's quite common.  It was the craziest thing, lol.

Re: Who knew "flu-like" symptoms were a part of early labor?!

• Im the same way. I can do a while without being sick but when i do get sick, it's not a joke. I had something close to the flu about a week and a half ago. It was horrible.

I had no idea that flu-like symptoms had anything to do with early labor. Interesting!

Im glad you're feeling better! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My childbirth instructor mentioned this... she said if you feel like you're coming down with the flu, you may be meeting your baby soon.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also heard this in my childbirth class. 2 of my co-workers said that the day their labor started they had thought they were coming down with something. Good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Funny you guys should say that.  I have been sitting at my desk timing the contractions I'm having.  My stomach is so tight it feels like it wants to pop!  So far they're ten minutes apart, but not very painful, more annoying than anything.  I have never been at work this far into a pregnancy.  I was in the Army for all of my other babies and they put women on bedrest a month before their due dates.  Some of my co-workers are eyeing me to make sure I don't have a baby at my desk, lol!
  • I am in bed with cold and flu symptoms, but I really think that mine is just seriously just a cold.  At least, I hope so.  Still got another week and a half until due date.  Hoping this isn't the case for me.  Good luck and feel better!
  • I had flu-like symptoms with my DD, but I went into labor that day. I had the flu-like symptoms last night after going for a walk and was rather hopeful. However, I went to bed and everything was back to normal. A friend of mine told me about this, but I don't think anyone else ever did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, I was having stomach flu symptoms for the past week and I told my OB and he said it was probably not a virus but was probably pre-labor stuff. He said it is really common to have these kinds of things for even a few weeks before labor. My symptoms are totally like yours, hot and cold flashes, feeling nauseous and my nose gets stuffed up off an on. I have a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks so I'm guessing I'll make it to that at least.
  • I was wondering about this...I'm getting over my annual "welcome to autumn" cold and this week I feel like I'm coming down with the flu.  A co-worker of mine said she always got a really bad cold 7-10 days before she went into labor with all 3 of her pregnancies.  I started having period-like cramps last week too...but I suppose this could go on for weeks. 

Daisypath baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"