April 2011 Moms

Weird punishment. (Sorry. Grading student papers.)

I'm grading my college freshmen's "Remembering Essays" -- the person, place, or event that had the biggest impact on their lives.

I know where I teach is rural (and I grew up really rural, too), but--  in the paper I'm grading now -- an otherwise sweet paper about how this boy loves his parents -- he mentioned that if he or his sister were a "tattle-tale," they would have to WEAR a tail that his parents had cut off of the puppies they raise.

I know certain breeds of dogs have their tails docked shortly after birth, so I don't want to debate that whole thing, but Ewwwww!  Thanks for letting me vent/share.

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Weird punishment. (Sorry. Grading student papers.)

• imageScout2005:

That's....effing terrible, to be honest.

Also, my parent's loved it when we tattled. They encouraged it. It's how they always knew what was going on. As my dad said "you kids out number us, but remember, our spies are everywhere."

I found it creepy but wasn't sure where on the scale it was for me. Another of my students this quarter, her father stabbed her and her sister in their stomachs when they were 2 and 3 and threw them out of the cabin window into a snowbank and left them to die. My student's sister did die...

I love being an English professor, and I appreciate how open my students are, but I feel like I need a counseling degree most days.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• imageScout2005:
    Holy crap. That poor girl.

I know... Sorry this thread is just us (and is getting personal if you're not comfortable with that)... But she wrote this poem in creative writing, and I *got* that it was a dysfunctional family poem, but I didn't really get it, and then she told me everything. She was talking about how getting phone calls from her mom upsets her (her mom was crazy abusive, too), and I said, "You KNOW you don't have to take her phone calls, even if she is your mom? It's okay not to let people who hurt you into your life..." *Sigh*

I've seen it all... I had a student a few years ago whose parents wanted her to put off chemotherapy for ovarian cancer until after their trip to Disneyworld because they didn't want her to "be a drag" on their vacation... NOT making this up. I swear. She ended up living in another professor's basement until she could leave for a university because her family was soooo messed up.

Our college cut counseling years ago, so it's not like we can send the students to a counselor... But, seriously, you hear a lot and just try to help as much as is appropriate (or even beyond what's appropriate, apparently).

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Loading the player...
  • Don't these stories break your heart even more now that you're a mom?  I am a court reporter, so I've seen and heard it all.  I used to get really sad and angry about some of the wrongs done to children I would hear about in court.  Now that I am a mom it is painful on a whole new level.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKimberly92405:
    Don't these stories break your heart even more now that you're a mom?  I am a court reporter, so I've seen and heard it all.  I used to get really sad and angry about some of the wrongs done to children I would hear about in court.  Now that I am a mom it is painful on a whole new level.

I know what you mean... I've always been a HUGE softy, and I try to "take care" of everyone/everything anyway, but some things really get me now. There's a picture from UNICEF of a woman in the famine in Somalia burying her new, new baby, and just thinking about it gets to me now.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"