February 2012 Moms
Options

how do you feel about co-ed showers?

i've been to a few of them, i'm not really a fan of them because they become more "party" than baby shower...but my h wants our shower to be co-ed because he feels left out. ...i don't want to have two showers just so that i can have my girly day about the baby..... my shower host is either way...whichever makes us happy.

Re: how do you feel about co-ed showers?

• Options
    With my first child, I didnt do co-ed showers... but I kinda wish my DH could have been there to celebrate with me! This time around, a friend has offered to do a shower, and since it is going to be mostly friends anyways and more of a sprinkle, we decided to do a co-ed. I dont mind the "party" aspect of it, since it is really a party for the baby!
  • Options

We had a couple's shower for our wedding and it was fun because, well, we were partying. But they are not my style for a baby shower.

My SIL is throwing us a shower where it is all Hubs side of the family and he will be there also. He wants to come and see all the gifts and be involved so this one will be perfect for making him feel included. 

OP: If you don't want to have multiple showers, why don't you bring DH to the shower? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have only been to one co-ed Baby Shower. The girls stayed inside and did the girly stuff (had lunch, chatted, games, presents, etc.) and the boys went and drank outside.

I don't think guys have much interest in watching you open a bunch of baby girls and "Ooohing" and "Awwing" over everything so that might be a good alternative for you - then your DH can come and sit with you while you open a few gifts so he feels like he is a part of the day. But he can still hang with his buddies and do "man stuff"

BabyFruit Ticker image imageimage
  • Options
    imageMom22inFeb:

I have only been to one co-ed Baby Shower. The girls stayed inside and did the girly stuff (had lunch, chatted, games, presents, etc.) and the boys went and drank outside.

I don't think guys have much interest in watching you open a bunch of baby girls and "Ooohing" and "Awwing" over everything so that might be a good alternative for you - then your DH can come and sit with you while you open a few gifts so he feels like he is a part of the day. But he can still hang with his buddies and do "man stuff"

LOL I mean BABY GIFTS. That just sounded weird!!

BabyFruit Ticker image imageimage
  • Options
    I agree with you.  I feel like it turns into just a party because you have to make the men feel comfortable.  My mom wanted mine to be co-ed but I protested because I wanted a girly day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had one of each with my 1st pregnancy. The co-ed shower was a work shower so we just had a bunch of pictchers of beer, one silly game, and lots of chatting while I opened gifts. Very fun and laid back, more a party.

The other was the girls only, little sandwiches and punch, oohing and ahhing over baby gifts, etc.  Still fun but a little more "stiff" in my opinion.

• Options
    My friend really wants to throw a co-ed shower but my husband feels weird about it, so we are having a couple dinner and not making it much of a 'shower.' Hopefully this way he won't feel out of the place or the other guys won't either. I don't want to guys to feel uncomfortable. I think we will have a great time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    If he feels left out, why not just give him the option to stay?  It doesn't have to be co-ed where other guys are invited, but that doesn't mean your H couldn't stay.  While other guys certainly wouldn't be interested in watching you open gifts, your H might like that.  Then he could be included and you could still get the kind of shower that you're hoping for.
  • Options

Our shower has a religious aspect to it so it will be a co-ed shower. The religious ceremony is in the afternoon followed by a formal dinner in the evening. With that said, I dont know if we are going to be playing shower games or opening gifts or anything like that. But my sister in law is throwing me a more "American" traditional girls-only shower the next morning for brunch. Well be playing games and opening gifts and the whole shebang! I know my husband is excited for the co-ed shower but definately does not care to be around for the girly one.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We are having one shower, and everyone is invited. We are renting a small house/bed and breakfast type of inn, and there is a TV room with a bigscreen that can help keep the boys' attentions should they get bored. We plan on having a spaghetti dinner because that seemed to be the cheapest way to really feed a lot of people, and I'm sure we'll play several of those silly games that gets everyone laughing.

That night also happens to be the evening of our town Christmas parade, so after dinner and gifts, I think it will be nice for everyone to go outside and watch the parade. It also helps the families that plan on bringing kids - between the parade and the small playground outside, hopefully we'll be good. I'm really excited about our co-ed party because I do not care for a tremendous amount of attention on myself. I like the idea of having several activities going on, so people do not feel obligated to sit in one room and watch me open presents...awkward. I think everyone has a different style, and this type of shower is one that suits us the best.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We are having one shower, and everyone is invited. We are renting a small house/bed and breakfast type of inn, and there is a TV room with a bigscreen that can help keep the boys' attentions should they get bored. We plan on having a spaghetti dinner because that seemed to be the cheapest way to really feed a lot of people, and I'm sure we'll play several of those silly games that gets everyone laughing.

That night also happens to be the evening of our town Christmas parade, so after dinner and gifts, I think it will be nice for everyone to go outside and watch the parade. It also helps the families that plan on bringing kids - between the parade and the small playground outside, hopefully we'll be good. I'm really excited about our co-ed party because I do not care for a tremendous amount of attention on myself. I like the idea of having several activities going on, so people do not feel obligated to sit in one room and watch me open presents...awkward. I think everyone has a different style, and this type of shower is one that suits us the best.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love them. i wish mine was but df didnt want to do it that way. so were settling with a meet the baby bbq after she is born for his manly friends, the ones i have been to tho have been so much fun and so relaxed.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Oh, just the fact that DH asked to be included makes me say go for it. 
  • Options
    thanks for all the input. maybe we will have it as a "girls-only" shower, but have h there too. it'll be at his moms house, so i'm sure if it gets too girly, he can find something to do.

• Options
    I love couple's showers, but I'd prefer a party to baby shower games any day.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • Options
    if it's at his mom's house, that makes sense. he can always just pop in, check it out... leave when he wants or take the fellas to a man cave. co-ed showers are pretty fun, laid back and casual. depends on what you want your mood to be like. my DH chose to have a separate gather,  "the dadchelor" party, if you will. have fun no matter what! 
  • Options

My social circle is not the "partying" type, in that none of us really drink or get crazy.  We still have a ton of fun when we're together, but since most of us have kids, it usually involves the kids playing together in the next room while the adults talk and play games. Yeah, we're dorky like that. :)

If my sister offers to throw me a shower for this baby, I'll ask her if she'd be ok with it being co-ed and casual. I think it would be way more fun, as I'm typically uncomfortable in all-female settings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

If your husband is okay with it then I think it's fine.

My DH told me upfront that he definitely didn't want to be anywhere near a baby shower. A  couple of our friends husbands also have complained about co-ed showers in the past. I think that my guy will just go out with his buddies to have a last 'guys' night out before the birth, but they'll leave the presents and party to the ladies.

• Options

We are having the traditional baby shower thrown by my sister with ladies only, full of girl stuff, games, ohhhs and awwws!

then we are having a "diaper bowl" super bowl party for DH and his friends, this one is co-ed. Basically a super bowl party since DH's family is HUGE on football but we are asking everyone to bring diapers. diaper parties are kind of tradition for the males to have but DH doesnt want a crazy party like those tend to turn out to be, so this is our twist on the diaper party.

• Options

imageJen0204:
    If he feels left out, why not just give him the option to stay?  It doesn't have to be co-ed where other guys are invited, but that doesn't mean your H couldn't stay.  While other guys certainly wouldn't be interested in watching you open gifts, your H might like that.  Then he could be included and you could still get the kind of shower that you're hoping for.

This is what I was thinking.  If he wants to stay, I think it could be fun for him to be there.  My hubby won't be at either one of our showers... he's found some other things to do (and doesn't hurt that his brother gets tickets to the Ravens games from one of the players and there is a home game the day of our shower there). 

July '15 January Siggy - snow fails
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We went to a co-ed shower for a friend and most people thought of it as more of a party and almost no one brought gifts...it was kind of weird.  I think it depends on how you invite people--they just did a Facebook invite-type thing, so I think people didn't completely realize they should have brought a gift.  They're fun, though--I would go for it.
  • Options
    Mine was mostly girls only, but my dad, stepfather, brothers and DH attended.  DH was a life saver since I am not a huge fan of all eyes on me and whenever I got overwhelmed when opening gifts, he would jump in with a funny quip or comment that really took the pressure off. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

imageJen0204:

This is the way I've actually seen it for the majority of showers I've attended ...the Daddy stays whether or not it's co-ed or not.

• Options
    My showers are all women only. However, my husband and I have some really good male friends and they all feel left out. So they have taken it upon themselves to "throw" my hubby a shower on their own on the days of my other showers. And my hubby wants to have a "shower" at our house. I told him it is tacky for us to throw our own. So we are having a baby party I guess. It is going to end up being a party more than anything out. And most likely all they guys are going to bring really cheesy stuff that I am going to not want to keep, but it's the thought that counts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think if your husband wants to feel included... then have a co-ed shower.  I really feel like sometimes women forget that they all have a place in this and until the baby gets here, the wonderful things are things we experience - feeling the baby move, etc... And even after the baby is here, the men don't get to nurse them.  Especially if your H has been involved up until now (going to ultrasounds, wanting to feel your baby move), I think it's sweet and would totally have a co-ed shower.  It is his baby too afterall, you know?

• Options
    imageJen0204:

I love this idea!  Wonder how I could suggest it for my own...
  • Options

I love them. I'm having one of each.

My mom and sister insist on throwing me the traditional girly baby shower. Which is great, it's just not really my style. I'm not very girly and I hate being the center of attention, I realize it's about the baby but the baby is inside me so it gets directed at me.

My SO's mom isn't very social and probably won't come to the baby shower my sister is throwing. Also, SO really wants to be involved and his brother(only sibling) is really excited and wants to be involved too. So we're having a co-ed shower at his parents house so the boys can be involved too. 

• Options
    I personally like girls only showers, mainly because I think most guys don't want to do all the traditional activities, which I really enjoy. In our group of friends, the guys usually get together and do something during the shower, like playing golf or going to lunch so the dad to be is still getting celebrated. But if your DH really wants a co-ed shower go for it!

After 2 1/2 years TTC, 3 IUI's, endo, and a lap, a surprise BFP brought us Alexandra Marie!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Co-ed showers get an enthusiastic yes from me! Flame away, but I really don't like showers (whether for me or someone else).  I had one of each when I was pregnant with dd and the co-ed shower was such a blast.  My parents and friend threw it in a gelatto restaurant my brother was working in at the time.   Family and friends came, there was a Wii set up (it was cool and newish at the time), finger food, drinks and a cake.  It was so much more relaxed then any women only shower I've been to.  
    Isobel
    5 February 2008
  • Options
    Meh.  Whatever you're into...  If DH is going to be butt hurt, then I like the idea of the guys doing something outside or whatever.  But I think it depends on the "partying."  If it's just a good time mingling and having fun, OK.  But if it's going to turn into a kegger, I wouldn't be down.  LOL  I have been to both.  I like both. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    He can come... without his friends. My hubby wants to come to tell everyone thank you so he is gonna hang out close by and I will text him before presents so he can come be a part of that without having to do all the girly crap he has no interest in. If his friends came, it would be a drunk fest and it is bad enough being around a huge alcohol party every weekend and not being able to partake at all... last thing I want is for my baby shower to become a frat party so I'm on the "girl's only" bandwagon.
  • Options
    I told my mom I didn't want an all girl shower. I'm not into the oohhing and ahhing over my belly, or the belly touching, or all the comments/advice. It's just not my style. At all. So.. we're having a co-ed shower. Either a barbeque, or at a restaurant, whatever she ends up deciding on. I much prefer the casual setting. But, that's just me and DH likes that he can celebrate with his friends too.
    Meagan and Travis
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 2/27/11 Missed M/C 4/2/11
    BFP 6/8/11 Delilah Rae born February 17, 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am having a girls only shower hosted by my mom and my aunt (hubby will probably show up towards the end) and I am also having a co-ed shower hosted by my mother in law.  This is mainly for my husbands family.  His dad, brother, mom, cousins etc.  Best of both worlds.  I feel really blessed.
  • Options
    I prefer the girls only showers.  But if the daddy to be wants to go, I see nothing wrong with him going as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"