Postpartum Depression

Intro

Hi ladies,

I've lurked, but I have never posted before.  I was diagnosed with PPD when DD was 2 months (she is now 6 months).  I was put on prometrium (progestrone hormone replacement).  My doctor felt this was a better option for me instead of antidepressants.  I feel I have done so much better now that I'm on the hormone, but I have my moments, days and even weeks sometimes.  I'm having a particulary rough week since DH is on a business trip.  He took business trips when she was younger, but I'm back to work now so it's harder.  We started sleep training our daughter last week and I feel that has brought back all my initial depression feelings (incompetent, anxious, etc).  I have become a crazy person about her sleep and I know I need to relax about it.  I know this, too, shall pass, but it's so hard to get through.  I am now finding that talking about it helps (probably should have done this a long time ago).  I haven't joined any support groups and felt the need to introduce myself and start getting some support from you ladies.

How did you ladies get through sleep training and/or not obssessing about certain things for LO (in my case, her sleep)?

TIA!

Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro

• This is me to a T! I was also diagnosed with PPD when DS was 2 months. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions but wanted to let you know you are not alone. My anxiety is almost dependent on how my son is sleeping. He was at one point sleeping through the night and it was wonderful. He has regressed and is back up crying at night. You can feel free to email me if you want to chat more.... indianaboiler06@yahoo.com

Not sure about you but, I feel like everyone that I know who has a baby around the same age as my son is sleeping perfectly at night and goes to sleep on their own.  

• you are not alone, E's sleep and my anxiety level are closely lnked!

We started sleep training right before a long weekend  for my husband.  I knew I was going to need that back up.
    Since yours is on a business trip...If you have any friends or family around, make them come over around bedtime to listen to the baby fuss-it-out while you walk around the block.  It's so much easier to handle when you can't hear it, even when you know she's still crying.  No one around?  If you have a monitor that had the progressive lights (louder noises light up the red LEDS, etc.), go to a part of the house that you can't hear her.  Then turn the monitor down so you can't hear, but can still watch the lights.  Raise the volume occasionally to make sure the crying is still just 'i can't believe you are making me do this by myself, uhg, this is so hard' crying.

Or, call someone on the phone that will talk to you while you cry.  I did this the first night.  But make sure it's someone who will either be very supportive and make you feel better or very funny and make you laugh.

Since you are working now, make sure your daytime care provider is on board with the sleep training.

our girl has been 'trained' for a while now, and we still have some rough bedtimes that I can't handle.  But it gets better!

In other news, welcome.  I haven't heard of treatment with hormone replacement.  I'm glad it is working for you and would love to hear more about it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • We just did our first night of CIO. My anxiety was so bad. I even snapped on DH cause he wasn't phased by it. I couldn't take my eyes off the monitor. I still feel anxious today knowing I have to do it again tonight.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.  Thanks for sharing, ladies. 

I hope everyone had a great weekend. 

To answer your question regarding hormone treatment, my dr. ran a panel of blood tests prior to diagnosing me with PPD and he said my progestrone levels were abnormally low therefore he believed the PPD was due to that. He also put me on Vitamin D supplements. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"