Military Families

Military Hospital Won't Take Standard

I have Prime and delivered DS at a Naval hospital. I absolutely loved it. I have a good friend who is a Marine wife and is a little skittish about military health care. I told her also about how much I loved my experience, and she decided to check it out for herself. When she tried to make an appointment, the person she spoke with told her that the hospital wouldn't take Standard (he was apparently really rude about it too, which makes me really angry). Has anyone ever heard of this happening or have any idea why? My only guess is that the facility can't support everyone with both Prime and Standard.

Re: Military Hospital Won't Take Standard

• My guess is they don't have room. Active duty, prime and retirees all get preference over standard. That is what I was told when I tried to get my flu shot at the base clinic.
  • PP is right. Patients on Standard can only be accommodated at an MTF after all of the Prime and retiree patients are taken care of. Most MTFs don't have room after that, so Standard beneficiaries have to go elsewhere. Can she switch to Prime?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshall923:
    My guess is they don't have room. Active duty, prime and retirees all get preference over standard.

This.  Some MTFs are so full that people with prime have civilian PCMs,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • We are active, and on Prime, six miles from post gates, and I was assigned a civie PCM. I have since called Tricare and asked them to check into changing me over to MACH, and they were able b/c there were a few openings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes this happened to a couple friends of mine who were on standard - they all see civilians

I am on prime and our clinic is full so I had no choice but to see a civi ... however I am being seen at NH for OB care ...

I believe it is like everyone else said - MTF just cant take everyone on prime and standard - in my case they cant even take everyone on prime haha 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MTF have priority lists. If they are able, Standard patients may be seen there. If they are at their capacity, they cannot. If she really wants to be seen there, she should look into switching to Prime.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the responses! I figured it would be something like that, which makes perfect sense. I don't know if she'd switch to Prime, but I think the thing that really irked her was the guy's attitude. He was apparently really snooty when he found out she had Standard and acted as if she was wasting his time. Not how you'd hope your first encounter with a new system might go. I things he should have explained it to her. Too many people have bad ideas about military health care, we don't need some idiot driving people away. Sorry, rant ended lol.

• From my understanding (I've switched back and forth from Prime to Standard and back to Prime a few times, and I'm currently back on Standard).  She can switch 2 times in a year, but then she will be locked in to it for a year.  Just have her call Tricare and they can let her know her options for switching.  But when she switches it may change her PCM, especially if she's seeing a civilian doctor. 
  • imageNavyPilotWife:

imageshall923:
    My guess is they don't have room. Active duty, prime and retirees all get preference over standard.

This.  Some MTFs are so full that people with prime have civilian PCMs,

Yep.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"