Houston Babies

nursing a toddler question

So Eliza is 13 months, which doesn't make her exactly a toddler but she's not a baby anymore either, but whatever.

She nurses anywhere from twice a day to maybe five times a day now?  We always do wake up & before bed and then anytime during the day that she asks.

The problem is that my supply I suspect is virtually non existent now and many times, during the day when she nurses, she gets very frustrated and annoyed with nursing.  She switches sides frequently and sometimes even cries/yells at my boobs.

What's the best way to handle this?  She rarely nurses just for comfort and often, she wants to nurse after she's eaten (and she gets milk or water with her meals) so I think nursing is almost dessert for her.  If it was just comfort nursing, I don't think she'd be getting so upset at the lack of milk or that it's not coming out as fast as she'd like.

When she gets frustrated, should I just give her a cup of milk then?  Switch sides some more?  I don't really want to go back to trying to boost my supply.

Re: nursing a toddler question

• How much cow milk is she getting?  If it is less than 24oz I would maybe give her an ounce.  If she is asking and not getting what she wants she may stop asking.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • she get's between 15 and 20 oz a day, but she doesn't always finish the cups of milk (she gets roughly 3 or 4 cups a day with about 5 oz each time)
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried asking if she would like some milk instead? Sometimes he asks to nurse, but if he is getting frustrated I ask him if he'd like milk or water. Sometimes that's what he really wants.

Also, for some reason, he seems to like yogurt instead. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"