Natural Birth
Options

Have you ever watched

Have you ever watched either Business of Being Born or Pregnancy in America?

I have seen Pregnancy in America, and I'm planning on watching Business of Being Born. I was curious because someone said something about it in a post in the 2nd Trimester board and another person basically went on to say it was biased and to trust your doctors. I think this is ridiculous, because it does show how a lot more people get c-sections and inductions now compared to other countries and such.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have you ever watched

• Options

I actually just responded to that poster.  I doubt she will see it, but it made me feel better.  LOL 

I really don't get why people get so up in arms about these documentaries being slanted.  It's not personal and it is hardly the mainstream opinion. Why be so defensive?  It's not like they skewed or inflated the actual statistics- those are on point.

I don't think having a strong opinion is always a bad thing...especially when you are trying to promote change at a national level.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I get so frustrated, because everyone thinks I'm ridiculous for wanting to do things the way I want to. My sister tried so hard to talk me into an epi in case I needed a c-section. Well, I'm not going in planning on having a c-section, if it comes down to it I'll get it, but I'm not automatically preparing for it. Ugh lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would just stop talking to people about it.  They really don't want to hear your opinion in most cases and no matter how hard you try, they are not going to change their minds.   Just nod and smile.

It gets a lot better BTW after you give birth.  This time around all I have to do is tell people that I had Lily at home and am excited to do it again.  Most won't bother arguing with someone who has already done it once.  :)

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    The Business of Being Born is actually what convinced me to have a natural, unmedicated birth.  Its a GREAT documentary.  And yes, every documentary maker goes in with a point they are trying to make, but they back it all up with facts and professional insight.  It is by no means propaganda. 
  • Options

If someone is on the fence, I tell them to view BOBB as half the argument. The other half of the argument is what we hear from mainstream media, our doctors, friends and family, etc. yes, it is biased against doctors/hospitals (which I don't think it's too harsh or attacking, and they have great research and stats), but everythig else in our environment is biased FOR them!

As an individual and soon-to-be parent you shouldn't base your decisions 100% on what a documentary tells you, but you also shouldn't base them 100% on what someone else is telling you. So yes, BOBB is biased, but as adults and parents we should be able to look at all information, coming from all sides, and decide what is best for our family.

• Options
    imageBFab11:

If someone is on the fence, I tell them to view BOBB as half the argument. The other half of the argument is what we hear from mainstream media, our doctors, friends and family, etc. yes, it is biased against doctors/hospitals (which I don't think it's too harsh or attacking, and they have great research and stats), but everythig else in our environment is biased FOR them!

As an individual and soon-to-be parent you shouldn't base your decisions 100% on what a documentary tells you, but you also shouldn't base them 100% on what someone else is telling you. So yes, BOBB is biased, but as adults and parents we should be able to look at all information, coming from all sides, and decide what is best for our family.

This exactly. BOBB presents one side, but it really did open my eyes. It is too anti-doctor in my view, but given the fact that the medical model of pregnancy and childbirth is so overwhelming in our culture, it was very much a documentary that needed to be made. It is a very good resource as you research all of your options.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagebethios:
    The Business of Being Born is actually what convinced me to have a natural, unmedicated birth.  Its a GREAT documentary.  And yes, every documentary maker goes in with a point they are trying to make, but they back it all up with facts and professional insight.  It is by no means propaganda. 

This.

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options

I've seen both. The Business of Being Born is much better than Pregnant in America, IMO. The director in Pregnant in America acts like an a-hole through the entire film.

Anyway, as the other posters said, yes, it is biased. And you should always think critically about anything ever stated as statistical evidence or fact. But it at least present some things to consider.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"