Preemies

I never considered preterm labor...

I'm 30 weeks and have been to L&D 3 times this week for contrations that wont stop.  Although right now I'm not dialated my Dr. sayd that if they can get me to make it to 35 weeks that would be incredible.  

So, now i'm concerned. A whole month early? I never considered that I would have to have my baby in the NICU. I know a lot of preemies have to stay in the NICU, but why?  Is it weight, lung development,eating?  I want to be prepared in case they let me go but have to keep my girl.  

Can anyone give me some advice?  Maybe answer these questions?  Or just reassure me?  Because right now I'm kind of starting to spaz.  

image  image  image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I never considered preterm labor...

• Most of us didn't plan on a preemie and a NICU stay but, like you, we ended up here. Every day you can keep your LO on the inside counts so keep doing what your doctor recommends!

To answer your question, preemies stay in the NICU for a long list of reasons, largely depending on their gestational age (GA) and weight. Preemies struggle with breathing (ask your doctor when you can get steroid shots for lung development), regulating their body temperature, gaining weight, and learning to eat. Their lungs need time to develop and until they are ready to breathe on their own, NICU babies recieve oxygen through a variety of methods depending on the amount of help needed. It can also a long time for babies to learn to eat (this skill comes around 34 weeks gestation).

Other preemies have more complicated lung issues, heart issues, and additional complications. Generally speaking though, the closer the baby is to their due date, the shorter their NICU stay. 

Gotta run...crying baby. Hope you don't join us for many more weeks!

• I'd be willing to bet 99.9% of us didn't expect to be here when we got pregnant.  The only people who *might* have thought they'd be here are moms who had a preemie pregnancy before.  

To answer your question, babies stay in the NICU for all of the reasons you stated.

One thing I'd be speaking up about, if I were you, is steroid shots.  If they haven't given them to you, make sure you demand them.  

Hopefully your LO can keep cooking for many more weeks!  Oh, and there are 2 gals on my month board that were on bed rest for almost their entire pregnancies because of pre-term labor.  They both went over due.  So, it is possible.   

If you do enter the preemie world, don't hesitate to come back.  Good luck!    

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I remember when I was pregnant with DD, I asked my doc when they would induce if I went past my due date.  I was told 42 weeks.  I told DH that I was gonna be a 42 week pregnant lady walking around.  I never thought I'd be delivering 5 weeks early instead.

I don't have much to help you with cuz DD did not have any NICU time.  We were warned that she may not come with home us due to underdeveloped lungs, as well as the inability to suck or swallow.  And then of course, low birth weight.  What we experienced was DD having difficulty eating, so she was losing weight.  She also had issues with jaundice.  For the first week we had to come back to the hospital every other day to check on her weight and her bilirubin levels.  Obviously, this was NOTHING compared to what most of the ladies here had to deal with, but that was our preemie experience.

Good luck to you, and I hope your little one keeps cooking for several more weeks!

imageimageimage
  • i delivered at 35w2d and Julian had to stay in the NICU for 5 days. When he was born his lungs were "wet" and they used pressurized room air to keep his lungs open for a few hours after he was born. They had him on an IV because they weren't feeding him. On the second day they started feeding him through a tube that went down his nose. Once he was able to get enough food through the tube to wean off of the IV they started letting me feed him with a bottle/breast. He's taken the bottle really well, but he's having trouble breast feeding. They kept him long enough to show that he was gaining weight through bottle/breastfeeding alone and sent him home. Because he was a late term preemie and he didn't have many issues at all and didn't have to spend much time in the NICU. I was lucky. I hope you're lucky too!
  • Getting info to be prepared is good but try not to panic. My SIL was having contrax from 32 weeks and they managed to keep my nephew in until term ( actually went overdue.) I, on the other hand, had no sign of ptl until my water broke at 36 weeks. Go figure. I hope you stay PG for a while!
  • None of us every envisioned having a preemie. For me, I went into preterm labor and had a baby less than 12 hours later, so you are lucky they were able to stop your labor a few times. For late preemies, the major issues are weight gain, temperature regulation and eating. Preemies usually dont have good suck-swallow-breath coordination, so they need help eating until they develop that coordination enough to eat from a bottle or breastfeed. Hopefully you get steroid shots to help promote lung maturity so breathing will not be an issue. Good luck, and i hope you can keep your LO cooking longer!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"