Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

nursery screen door/pets

my FIL is putting up a screen door we bought today on the nursery to keep our crazy cat out as much as we can. Curious if any of you have tried a screen door and how things worked out for you with animals? We have to cats both under 2yrs old and the male is out of his mind and is starting to show signs of jealousy towards me and attacks me when Im in LOs room lately so I felt like the cautious thing to do was put the door up so air still flows nicely but he stays out esp when we're all sleeping. If you used a screen door how long did you use it or did you find animals stayed away on their own and you didn't really need the door? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: nursery screen door/pets

• Options

This will be a watch and see kind of thing. Different pets react differently.

You may find that as soon as your babies are home, they avoid everything baby related. Some are the opposite and love the baby like it was their own and stand watch at the door to make sure the baby is ok. And some pets just don't get over it.. that's what the screen door is for. These are the extremes and then there is everything in between too.

My mom has 2 dogs and 2 cats. They're all fine with DS. The cats and one dog ignore him... he's just not interesting to them. The second dog is his personal guard. He'll sit on the floor and play and she'll pace around making sure he's ok. If he throws or drops a toy, she nudges it back to him with her nose (she's a teacup yorkie... some of his toys are bigger than she is).

• Options
    Just lurking but glad you posted this. We're TTC and have 3 dogs and a cat so I was wondering how to keep them all out once we do get preggers. This sounds like a great idea.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekschulls3:
    Just lurking but glad you posted this. We're TTC and have 3 dogs and a cat so I was wondering how to keep them all out once we do get preggers. This sounds like a great idea.

we got the screen door for $50 at home depot and it was super ez to put up, doesnt even look all that bad LOL its temporary anyhow. GL!  

• Options
    We have 2 male cats, one is definitely crazier than the other.  Before DS was born we'd catch them in his crib every so often, once we brought him home they have never once jumped in his crib while he's been in there.  I do catch the crazier one sleeping on his changing table at night every so often.  I've learned with animals, cats especially, that the more you try and keep them out of somewhere the more they will try to get in there.  We were lucky that both cats took to DS from the start, no jealousy issues.  Good luck!
  • Options

My mom had a screen on my nursery.  Her cat peed all over the crib if the room wasn't closed.  It worked great for her.

We have a split level and our cats food and litterboxes are on the lower level so we just shut the basement door at night and keep them confined. 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have 2 crazy cats that I really thought would freak out when the baby came. They couldn't care less about her! They actually avoid her. I know in our case, our kitties would rip through a screen in a day. But like I said, they are a little crazy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have two dogs and a cat and I endedup buying an extra tall walkthrough baby gate. The cat wont jump over it and it will be sturdier than a screen. My cats when I was younger used to tear open screens and escape so I wouldnt feel comfortable with just a screen blocking the baby's room.
  • Options

imageLeinistar:
    We have two dogs and a cat and I endedup buying an extra tall walkthrough baby gate. The cat wont jump over it and it will be sturdier than a screen. My cats when I was younger used to tear open screens and escape so I wouldnt feel comfortable with just a screen blocking the baby's room.

Same here- we have the gate up so I can choose when the cat and dog can and cannot go into her room. Its a little bit of a pain sometimes because if you want it open, we have to use a prop to hold it from closing, but I like knowing they can't get in if we dont want them to, but still have the door to her room open. 

• Options
    I have 2 very curious kitties.... I was worried about the same thing.  But, I have learned that if I leave the nursery open they don't really care about it.... when i did have it closed up that was the only room they wanted to be in.  Once LO arrived they learned that was his space.  They have never been in his crib or the glider... I have only caught them on  the changing pad once.  I also have a spare bed in that room that I let them sleep on...so that helps.
    ~Married- 10.20.2007~ TTC Since- 4.3.2009 ~BFP#1- 8.25.2009 ~ Missed M/C and D&C-10.9.2009 ~BFP#2-8.12.2010 ~ EDD- 4.20.2011~ It
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"