Postpartum Depression
Options

Intro/Meds question

Hey ladies,

As much as I tried to fight it, I am going to start on Celexa tonight. I called my OB back in July, after I went back to work. I was doing pretty well so I decided against the meds, and then this week all my feelings came rushing back. I am not sure what set it all off, but I need something done about the intrusive thoughts that are going through my head. I love my DS more than anything, and it makes me feel like a horrible mother when those types of thoughts go through my head. I can't even type them out.

So after some Dr Google action, I would almost diagnose myself with PPA, rather than PPD. Does anyone have any history of Celexa? I was under the impression though that Celexa was more depression oriented, rather than anxiety. I am still breastfeeding, and would like to continue to do so. How quickly did it take for your meds to kick in? And did you have any immediate side effects.

Odd that I have anxiety about starting anxiety meds... :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro/Meds question

• Options

I have have an anxiety/panic attack disorder for a long time. I got PPD when DD was born. I have always had anxiety about any medication....so that is super normal. I don't think you have to worry about it being mainly for depression...anxiety is a form of depression. I am on Lexapro and that is for depression and it has worked wonders for me.

I wish I could help more about Celexa....but I have never taken that.

It took my lexapro about a week to kick in...but I noticed that everyday was a little bit better then the previous right away

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm dumb and didn't notice that this is a Post-Partum Depression board and not just a depression board, but I saw your post and thought I'd respond.

I was on Celexa for awhile.  I thought it was a great medication.  I have problems with both depression and anxiety, and I find that very often the two are tied together, so Celexa was helpful for both (although moreso for the depression). 

I had absolutely no side effects to the medication, so I think highly of it.

Never feel about taking medication.  No other type of illness has a medication-stigma attached to it - neither should depression :)  I hope it helps.

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Celexa is suppose to be good for depression and anxiety.  I took Celexa for about 6 weeks and it did NOTHING for me.  I was only on a low dose, 10mg.  I did breastfeed while I was on it...my doctor and my sons pedi said it was fine.  You need to double check w/ your doctor though. 

I am now using Trazadone and it is good for depression and anxiety too...it is really good for anxiety.  It is an older anti-depressant and I don't think it is an SSRI drug.  I also use Ativan to help me to calm down at night so that I can sleep.  That was my biggest problem...not being able to fall or stay alseep.  Things are much better now b/c of therapy and meds.

Good luck and if you have any more questions...just ask.  :)

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"