Military Families

XP: Anyone near Lejeune

DH just got his orders for Lejeune.  I'm starting to look into areas for housing (we are living off-base) and I didn't know if anyone had any advice on good areas and areas to avoid.  If it helps any, I really would hate for DH to have longer than a 30 minute commute and we are looking for an area that is "family friendly."

Also, I will be looking for a good OB.  I'm on Standard and I think I'll be sticking with that, unless the Naval Hospital is really good on base.  Any advice/suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Anyone near Lejeune

• I live on base so as far as off base goes I'm no help. I never even lived off base in our own house lol. But base housing here is super nice and pretty convenient. We stayed in Hubert for a little over a month and they have some nice houses. It is about 10-15 min from one of the back gates, but probably 20 min from Jacksonville (where Walmart, grocery stores, etc. are at).

As far as OB care, I go to the Naval Hospital. I love my doctor, she's great. To be honest, I've never heard anything bad about other people's experiences at the Naval for OB/L&D. Everyone I've talked to that has delivered there has had a great experience. I have heard people say that THEY have heard bad things, but no one has ever been able to give examples. If you wanna go off base though, I would recommend Crist Clinic for Women. My sister went there and said it was amazing.

If you have any questions, just ask. I've been here over a year now.

• Thanks for the info!  I was actually looking at houses in Hubert. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey Lady I'm on LeJeune :)

I have lived off base and currently live on base.  Swansboro is the farthest I would look but Hubert is nice.  Also if you go the other way Richlands is nice as well.

I have Prime but also have other insurance PM me and I will let you know my OB office.  I really like them and a friend of mine who has standard also went their for her care and that got me to go there.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagegigismomma:

Hey Lady I'm on LeJeune :)

I have lived off base and currently live on base.  Swansboro is the farthest I would look but Hubert is nice.  Also if you go the other way Richlands is nice as well.

I have Prime but also have other insurance PM me and I will let you know my OB office.  I really like them and a friend of mine who has standard also went their for her care and that got me to go there.

You've got a PM email

• imagechloebeth930:
    imagegigismomma:

Hey Lady I'm on LeJeune :)

You've got a PM email

Back at you. email

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We are also stationed at LeJeune.  I am not too sure about the OB on base because I am living at my mothers out of state because DH is deployed. We do live off base and live in I guess what would be considered the Parkwood area. (that is the elementary school near us) It is about 25 min commute for DH to work. The neighborhood is very friendly and quiet. 

Another area that is really nice in Jacksonville is Ashcroft Commons. Jacksonville is nice because you have EVERYTHING pretty close. We stayed in Hubert for a little while and it was kind of a pain because we were constantly driving to Jacksonville for everything! (Walmart, Restaurants, Mall, Target, Babies R Us)

• We were there for a few years (just left in July) and I miss it every single day.

We never lived on base because we had a pitt mix ... we LOVE LOVE LOVED our neighborhood - quiet, clean, friendly ..

My husband worked on the air station (MCAS New River) but our townhouse was right near EVERYTHING - about a 5-10 minute drive to Lejeune but traffic in the morning is HORRENDOUS so no matter how close you are you could be spending an hour in traffic to get 5 miles to base ...

I was also seen at Naval Hospital CL ... and I really enjoyed it - my PCM and my OB were both there ... I do NOT however recommend their ER which sucks on EVERY level - so in ER circumstances we always went to Onslow Memorial which since they re-did their ER operations is FABULOUS! 

I miss my job and our friends there :o( We are in CA now and I am dying to go back to NC!

Enjoy it for me! If I can help lemme know! Our rental agency was AWESOME. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't agree with the traffic thing. I live on Midway Park base housing, which is right off the base, and because you go towards the base the opposite way from Jacksonville, traffic is never backed up for us. Same with when we stayed in Hubert. If you take the Hubert gate, traffic is rarely backed up. My husband has never had to leave too early since we lived here or in Hubert.

On the other hand, getting OFF base when everyone is getting off work is a pain in the ass. But that is going to my house. I still found that the Hubert gate didn't get backed up in those circumstances either.

• Hunter's Creek is a nice, safe area. I would recommend living in Hubert or the Hubert side of Jacksonville. If you live on the other side of J-ville, it'll take forever to get home because of traffic.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLissa832:
    Hunter's Creek is a nice, safe area. I would recommend living in Hubert or the Hubert side of Jacksonville. If you live on the other side of J-ville, it'll take forever to get home because of traffic.

I forgot about Hunters Creek!! It is very nice, right by base and you shouldn't have to deal with traffic too much. 

• People have touched on traffic a bit, not enough though.  Even if you live 15 minutes from the base, the commute will be longer than 30 minutes most likely during the rush hours.  We are 30 minutes from base, and during the morning and evening rush it was taking my Dh 1 hour or more to get home.  I just wanted to let you know that traffic is a bit crazy.  Even the people that live in base housing (it's not part of the main base) sometimes have 30 minute commute and they live 10 minutes away. 

Supposedly the new gate is suppose to make traffic better in the morning, but I'm not sure how.  The 3-4 lanes will still go into 2 lanes to mainside. 

• If you want to avoid traffic, living towards Swansboro helps. We do as do a ton of others, and my H has the same exact commute-- sometimes much shorter-- than people who live in Jacksonville or Richlands. Generally it takes us about 40 minutes door to door. 

I like where we live because I never have to go to Jacksonville. I stick to Swansboro, Cape Carteret and Morehead City, which I find much nicer than Jacksonville for most things. 

I'm at the Naval Hospital and I live 40 minutes from base. It doesn't matter where you live so long as you're within 45 minutes from base and they have room when you get a referral. I actually wanted to go to Carteret and they said no, but I'm happy at the Naval Hospital.

If you have questions, PM me :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"