May 2011 Moms

Constipation from breastmilk to formula. Suppository time!

DD was transitioned from bm to formula - little at a time over a few weeks - but when we went 100% formula, she got majorly stopped up. Went 3-4 days w/no poop, so pedi had us do diluted white grape juice (warmed) - didn't help. Rectal temp - didn't help. Then we did the glycerin (infants) suppository. THAT HELPED. Of course. But after that initial-reaction poop (that's hard and huge and omgz) she goes another 3-4 days..  just did the second suppository in a week. How long should it really take them to get used to the switch??? I am feeling SUCH crippling guilt over this - because I am the one who caused it, is what I feel like! I took away the bm and intro'd formula, thus causing her to go cross-eyed over trying to poop so hard!

Advice?

Re: Constipation from breastmilk to formula. Suppository time!

• What formula are you using? I would give it a little more time since it's only been a few weeks.

And please, don't feel guilty. I've been there done that, now twice, and you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.... :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• using Gentlease (and SImilac Sensitive - basically the same thing).. thinking of just going and trying the generic kind of regular formula (not gentle/sensitive)....
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekgail11:
    using Gentlease (and SImilac Sensitive - basically the same thing).. thinking of just going and trying the generic kind of regular formula (not gentle/sensitive)....

Gentlease made my DS so gassy.  That was the first one I tried when I weaned him. I switched to Good Start and didn't have any issues. 

When I weaned DD, I went right to GS, and again, no issues.  My pedi recommends it for BF transitioning babies. 

Maybe try that? Just don't got back and forth.  Stick with one for at least a few weeks, if not an entire month before switching. I think it wreaks havoc on their tummies.  

• Been there done that at 3 months. It took B a little over 8 weeks to finally go every other day.  Seriously, hold off on the suppository until they don't go for 6 days.  Otherwise, they could get used to it. 
  • PS, we also use goodstart. 
  • imagemrbear83:
    Been there done that at 3 months. It took B a little over 8 weeks to finally go every other day.  Seriously, hold off on the suppository until they don't go for 6 days.  Otherwise, they could get used to it. 

They are non habit forming. At least our pediatrician said they were. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"