Natural Birth

I know it doesn't mean anything, but of course I'm worrying

I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead. I'm SURE the baby just had a growth spurt or something, because I've been right on track thus far. My doctor wasn't worried, she just said if he continued to measure big, we'd do an ultrasound. I know u/s for size can be off, and I've had two children vaginally already. I have nothing to worry about.

Yet, here I am thinking of all the "what ifs". What if the baby is huge? What if I go into labor pre-term? What if the u/s show's he's big and the doctor starts talking induction/c-section?

And of course, my husband has shown me just how little he gets it. I tell him this, and he says, 'well, if the doctor thinks you need to do something, then it's probably for a good reason."

*I know about fetal macrosomia and shoulder dystocia; I also know several people who were induced/sectioned due to "big" babies who ended up being perfectly average.

I'm sure it's fine. I just...worry. About everything. It's who I am, lol.

Re: I know it doesn't mean anything, but of course I'm worrying

• I was told the same - I was measuring 3 cm too big at about 24 weeks but at my most recent appointment, 31 weeks, I'm exactly on track. To be honest, I overate by a lot week 23 because I was traveling for work & just stuffing my face and I think the sudden weight gain (4 lbs in 1 week) might have thrown off the measurement. I know they're supposed to be able to tell the difference between fat & womb but with that midwife, I wasn't very confident in her assessment.

You're ticker says 26 weeks? Don't worry about it - still have plenty of time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would express your concerns to your doctor, let him know you have no interest in induction and that the size isn't going to scare you from trying it naturally.
  • Loading the player...
  • I could've typed this! I was measuring 28 cm at my appt last Saturday. But I did gain 8 lbs in a month, so that's what I'm thinking!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • *I know about fetal macrosomia and shoulder dystocia

Then you know that it is VERY rare and many times the product of someone with uncontrolled GD.   You probably also know that 9 and even 10 lb babies are being born vaginally every day and that the AGOC defines macrosomia as 11+ pounds....and even then I have read natural birth stories of women giving birth to 11 pound babies without a single tear. 

As for shoulder dystocia- that can be prevented many times by not getting the epidural and giving birth in more favorable positions (rather than on your back)...also by having a care provider that knows what they are doing (because many times shoulder dystocia is the care providers fault in the end).

Unless you have uncontrolled GD, you really have nothing to worry about.  You already have a history of giving birth vaginally TWICE.   All of these worries are unfounded and unnecessary IMO- especially if your care provider is supportive of NB...if not, then I can understand your reason for worrying and would look into finding someone new. 

There are lots of reasons your measurements could be off other than a HUGE baby.  Have faith in your body and the process.  You can do this- you already have!

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• imagepinksweetpea2:

*I know about fetal macrosomia and shoulder dystocia

Then you know that it is VERY rare and many times the product of someone with uncontrolled GD.   You probably also know that 9 and even 10 lb babies are being born vaginally every day and that the AGOC defines macrosomia as 11+ pounds....and even then I have read natural birth stories of women giving birth to 11 pound babies without a single tear. 

As for shoulder dystocia- that can be prevented many times by not getting the epidural and giving birth in more favorable positions (rather than on your back)...also by having a care provider that knows what they are doing (because many times shoulder dystocia is the care providers fault in the end).

Unless you have uncontrolled GD, you really have nothing to worry about.  You already have a history of giving birth vaginally TWICE.   All of these worries are unfounded and unnecessary IMO- especially if your care provider is supportive of NB...if not, then I can understand your reason for worrying and would look into finding someone new. 

There are lots of reasons your measurements could be off other than a HUGE baby.  Have faith in your body and the process.  You can do this- you already have!

Sigh. I do. I know I can do this. And my doctor is supportive. I just like to get worked up about things sometimes. ;)

Last time, I was so worried that the baby would be breech I considered switching to the only doc in the area who does vaginal breech just in case. And the reason I put the disclaimer is because I've seen people on here flip out over the whole "big baby" thing.

I'm just hoping he comes a little early. DD measured 2w ahead all through 3rd tri and was 3w early. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"