Working Moms
Options

graduate student moms

Hi everyone!  Just wondering if there are many graduate mommas here! and how are you doing it... my MOT program is 3 years and luckily I don't have to work at the moment, but its not night school or part time, I'm still full time, 4 days a week, 8 to 6.. I'm trying to not go part time because it sets me back an entire year : /  Anyone have any tricks to help organize their lives.. and any pumping at school help?!

Re: graduate student moms

• Options

I'm a professor (not a student), so I might not be much help, but if there is a faculty lounge or something, maybe since you're a grad student, someone would let you pump there--if you have a female mentor you would feel comfortable asking. I pump in my own office, but if I didn't have one, the faculty lounge (where our division's kitchenette is--microwave, mini-fridge, etc., is) is where I would pump.

If your university has a "women's center," I might try there. (I taught at one school where the women's studies department had a women's center with feminist books, resources on domestic violence, basically all kinds of resources for women--and I'm sure that would have been the best place to pump there.) Hope that helps!

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I am going very part time, but I also am staff at a university. Ditto everything the pp said. I would also add a lot of times the libraries have little study rooms you may be able to pump in. I would definately try to pump as close to your classes as possible. I wouldn't want to walk half way across campus to pump. If one of your classes is near the health center- I would ask there, if one is near like a rec center I would ask there.... there are always little rooms that no one is using in many buildings. Definately get a good cooler to put the milk in. I used this one and I loved it!! It is so compact and the ice pack conforms to the bottles. Good luck!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a graduate student! I would see if there is a graduate women's group--many campuses have them.  They might be able to help with the pumping issues.  I know my backwards university just opened a few breastfeeding rooms to fit this need.  As far as organizing your life....I'm dissertating so I don't have any classes to juggle, but my number one advice is to have a faculty adviser who you trust and will be honest with you about whether you are on track.  Don't use the baby as an excuse, but do be honest about your limitations.  And, make sure your spouse understands that this is not "school." This is work. Your work has to be done and they have to help you achieve that goal for your family. 

• Options

I am in graduate school.  I also work FT, so I have had to cut back, but after this semester I only have one course left and then my capstone project (which can be done as part of my job - I also work at the university).

I have to rely on DH to help me find the time to get homework done.  Last night he had a commitment and wasn't home, and I had a quiz to finish.  For a while DD and I sat at the table and she played with crayons (and some of my binder clips) and I did homework.  : )  I was still up until about 11:30 finishing, but luckily that only happens a few times a semester, not every week.

As for pumping, I would talk to student affairs.  A university would have to provide a nursing mom employees with a space to pump, so with the number of employees that they have, it's likely that they already have a designated space that you could use.  Because I was an employee, I was able to get a key to the room at my building, but there is an office key that visitors and students can borrow.  The pps had good tips about storage, etc.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• Options

I'm a graduate student in a biology program.  I'm (hopefully) about 6 months away from my PhD.

I'm currently at school almost full time (to save on daycare, my sister watches DS 2 days a week, and I fill in any gaps between sister having him and DH picking him up).  This only amounts to maybe 4 hours a week, so I'm working nearly 40 hours/week.  The other 3 days/week we have DS at an in-home daycare.  We love our DC lady, and she is very reasonably priced, but even with that, daycare is a big stretch on the budget.  IMO, that's the hardest part of being a grad student with a child, having a small (or non-existent) salary and still having to day daycare.  DH is a teacher, too, so it's not like he's rolling in the dough either.

I've been pumping since I returned to work as well.  I originally was pumping in the bathroom b/c I didn't want to make a scene, and while doing that several female professors offered to find me an office to pump in instead.  Because of those wonderful professors, the department now has a small "nursing room" allocated.  Maybe you could ask your office if there is this possibility?  Best of luck!

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    I went to law school as a new mom.  I had to advocate for myself to get a room to pump- but I emailed the dean of the law school after a tour group saw me pumping in the bathroom and an employment lawyer giving a presentation saw me and told me that the school has to provide a place to pump that is not a bathroom for employees so i should ask if i could use that room- and within 24 hours after my email to the dean telling him of those two bathroom interactions, I had a private room to pump.  I also went full time - but only had class 4 days a week.  It was really nice to have Fridays off. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"