Eco-Friendly Family

sinus infection / major cold ?

What do you do for this?

I'm on day 3 now of a major sinus infection along with high fever. My dr prescribed an antibiotic, but it's not helping...and I'm not that surprised because it's probably viral (DDs are/were sick as well with high fevers for 5 days).

I'm taking Advil cold&sinus round the clock as well as doing the Neti Pot every few hours. But my throat is still severely sore to the point where I can't sleep and I'm having a lot of ear pain.

I just drank some apple cider vinegar after reading about home remedies (with water) so we'll see how that works....

I also read about putting Grapefruit seed extract in the Neti Pot and that helping a lot...

I'd appreciate any suggestions of things you've tried and that have worked! I'm at my limit and am having to take care of my 3y/o and sick 2y/o all day and I can barely function myself. TIA.
CP 3/07
BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
BFP 11/14

Re: sinus infection / major cold ?

• I'm sorry mama!  Have you tried gargling with warm salt water?  Also hot tea with honey usually helps me.  I know it is hard since your throat hurts so much, but keep drinking!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I know this sounds crazy, but if your throat is very sore and it hurts to swallow, try drinking a cup of hot tea with a squirt of lemon juice, a spoonful of honey and a dash of Tabasco or 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.  It sounds awful and it sorta is, but the cayenne pepper will numb your throat, making it easier ot swallow.  The lemon and honey have germ fighting properties.  This is the ONLY remedy that helps my sore throats when I have a major cold.  HTH!  Feel better soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks girls. Yep, I've been gargling salt water, taking hot hot showers, drinking lots of water and hot tea w/ honey.... I'll have to try the lemon juice and tabasco recipe. Thank you for that!

I just keep getting worse though. DH wanted me to go to the ER tonight but I feel silly going in for a bad "cold"... Thankfully my doctor is able to see me later tonight.

FWIW, the apple cider vinegar, I can definitely see how that would help! Problem is, I have chronic hives and I should have known better because it triggered a major hive outbreak on my face which just added to my discomfort. Lovely. But for anyone else, that's something that's worth a shot! 

CP 3/07
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 11/14
  • I would go to the doctor asap. I don't love antibiotics, but more so, I don't mess around with legitimate infections. Maybe try adding some salt to your neti-pot to try and help with the bacteria in the mean time, though. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSwitzerland87:

I would go to the doctor asap. I don't love antibiotics, but more so, I don't mess around with legitimate infections. Maybe try adding some salt to your neti-pot to try and help with the bacteria in the mean time, though. 

Thanks. I've been adding salt all along to the neti pot.

My doctor is seeing me at 7:45. I am at the point where I'm counting down the minutes..

CP 3/07
    BFP 11/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"